does a gas change tempp when presure is changed.

brianmay27

ok well after talking to him :doh: i guess i missed a big part.

in the lab we did the volume changed... so we had a plunger and we pushed it to different volumes and the pressure increased that way, at the time i guess it did not mater. guess it did anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, consider having a gas inside of a piston.

Suppose that the piston moves inward, so that the atoms aer slowly compressed into a smaller space. What happpens when an atom hits the moving piston? Evidentily it picks up speed from the collision. You can try it by boucning a ping-pong ball from a forward-movin paddle. An atoms happens to be standing still adn ths piston hits it, it will surely move. So the atoms are 'hotter' when they come away from the piston then they were befroe they struck it. Therefore all the atoms which are in the vessel will have picked up speed. This means that, when we compress a gagas slowly, the temeprature will increase. So under slow compression a gas will increase in tremperature, and under slow expansion it will decrease in temperature.