black around eyes

michel_mr

So, Phi... basically stuffy nose and clogged sinus puts pressure on the blood vessels around the eyes? This is what prevents the refreshing rosey color and results instead in dark sunken features?

If that's true... and it does make logical sense... that's pretty cool. :)

I went to my doctor once with a sinus condition that was threatening to move to my chest (bronchitis). I mentioned that it was affecting my sleep (post-nasal drip) as could plainly be seen what with the dark circles under my eyes.

He told me the circles had nothing to do with sleep and that it was restricted veins making it looked dark and puffy. Anecdotal, but he was a doctor. Perhaps blike has run across this in his studies (hint hint).

• 1 year later...
IIRC, they don't have anything to do with sleep or lack of it. The darkness is veins in the skin that have become constricted due to congestion in the nasal passages.

I rub my eyes hard and I can instantly see the bruising...regardless of sinus passage congestion.

When I get little or no sleep my eyes itch and I can sit there and rub them for a good 5 minutes ...in total, guilty ecstasy.:)

Whether sinus congestion causes itching I'm not sure...but I'm 99% positive rubbing your eyes for whatever reason can cause bruising / dark circles under your eyes.