Blue Light

SimonInSimon

What kind of signals, and why would light of longer wavelength not also interfere?

As an aside, blue light tends to make white look whiter. It's one of those perceptual tricks.

However, since that's not likely what you were talking about, how about you clarify the original question? Three responses in 60 seconds imply that you need to improve it. ;)

I wasn't specifying the color blue but let's just say that longer wavelengths for that matter.

As for the signals, I am not a physics major so I am really not familiar with the term. But I was referring to signals transmitted by PDA's and the like. Wireless devices perhaps.

Thanks and sorry for the ambiguous question!

I wasn't specifying the color blue but let's just say that longer wavelengths for that matter.

sure seemed that way with the thread title and all

As for the signals, I am not a physics major so I am really not familiar with the term. But I was referring to signals transmitted by PDA's and the like. Wireless devices perhaps.

you don't need to be. and those devices emit a whole gamut of signals, theres microwaves for wi-fi and bluetooth, IR for IR comunications and such. now, the recievers for these signals won't pick up waves outside the range they were designed for(well, they will but the signal will be incredibly tiny) and microwaves, well, they are really far away from blue light on the spectrum. so there won't be much interference there(especially since the antenna and that are usually encased in plastic which would block out blue light anyway.

so we're left with IR communications, thats much closer to blue light and works on photodiodes(or similar) whch can be affected by blue light. now, if you look at the port for one of these you will see that it is a really really dark red colour(looks black except when there is extreme lighting conditions, i have one here and you can just tell it's red if you look at the sun through it.) this also filters out blue light but lets IR pass by easily.

so, to get any reasonable interference you will need an ultra exposed reciever or incredibly intense blue light(probably enough to melt the device anyway) to get interference on an IR device and for a microwave transmission, well, your going to vapourise the device before you get interference unless you stick it near a microwave transmitter.