elements

Atlantic

It depends how you see it.

I suppose the most metallic (non-radioactive) element is Cesium, but Francium would be the most metallic element if you consider the radioactive ones, while the most non-metallic element is Fluorine...if we exclude the noble gases since they are not so reactive.

cesium has low melting point and Not very ductile and malleable if you ask me :)

Would aluminum be up there?

btw for those who don't know or don't remember: properties of metals: dense, solids, grey, shiny, malleable and ductile, conduct electricity and heat, and have a high melting point.

then going on pure physicalities and NOT chemicaly then I`de hazard to say off the top of my head (and I may probably change my mind on deeper thinking!).

metalic: a cross between Tungsten and copper

Non metalic: as a solid at RTP then: Phosphorous, as a non solid then: Helium

all based entirely on personal opinion and not scientific fact! :)

Atlantic said in post # :

btw for those who don't know or don't remember: properties of metals: dense, solids, grey, shiny, malleable and ductile, conduct electricity and heat, and have a high melting point.

Metals are generally classified by their free electron sea.

Saying that metals must be solid is wrong (Mercury, melted metals). Similarly 'grey' (gold), dense and high melting point.

You can express things in terms of their ionic character, but that's not exactly saying 'how metallic' a thing is.

Anyway, metallic isn't an analogue state; it either is a metal or it isn't.

Crash said in post # :

I thought that the delocalized electrons only counted for a small bit, as allotropes of carbon, ceramics and other not 100% metals can also have this property

Different. Benzene rings, for instance, can display some properties linked with a metallic bonding method, but it's a different structure entirely.

? all atoms have electronegativity but it deals with bonding, although the electronegativity has a patern on teh periodic table this dosent have any special means of of determining metals from non metals........although caseium and francium have the lowest electronegativity values while flurione has the highest(pauling scale)

• 1 year later...
Guest lorie nelsen

help! I'm new! Anyone know how to collect platinum shavings out of iron and gold dust? Need imedeatly!!

Well I suppose you could get rid of the iron with a magnet, dunno about the gold. Also if it's pure iron and gold I doubt you'd get platinum out of it.

help! I'm new! Anyone know how to collect platinum shavings out of iron and gold dust? Need imedeatly!!

DId you know you can start a new thread? this just totaly interupted this one. As for the metal thing, i think if its metal it metal, if its non-mrtallic its non-metalic. To me Cesium is just as mettalic as iron, copper, silver, platinum and tungsten. My favorite metal is probaly copper. I love the color and its properties. My favorite non-metal is probaly oxygen.

As for you question lorie nelson, now that youve removed the iron, you could proably use density to seperate Pt and Au. There both very dense but Pt is more dense. If that doesnt work your last resort would probaly be aqua regia, but that would suck because you dont want to waste gold. Although, platinum is of higher value than gold (i think).

I'd have to say Silver is my favorite metal.

It's nice, soft, shiny, and the king of conductivity. I just wish it didn't tarnish so quickly.

I'd say helium is about as non-metal as you can get.

silver doesnt tarnish terribly quickly, but it is a pain. It forms (i believe) sulfur compounds from the sulfur dioxide in the air and other sulfur compounds in eggs.

Silver is pretty interesting. I touched a piece of silver to an ice cube and it cut through it like butter because its thermal conductivity. Not terribly expensive either. Diamonds, however, are even better for cutting through ice.

Here are my favourites :

Metal : I think Mercury : dense, liquid, shining. Or maybe cesium with his color of gold and also liquid but so extremely dangerous.

Non-Metal : mmmm, difficult. Maybe hydrogen, so simple but so usefull. Or bromine, dark-red liquid with a lovely odor :)