Quibbles

Martin

"heat disperses" implies that it is a thing.

Perhaps there is a need to be a bit more particular with this. Maybe you're implying that it isn't static, or isn't like a "thing" that doesn't move.

But saying "H is a member of P"

and "H is not a member of Q"

means that P can't be a Q either. Heat is a process that isn't a thing ...

it was indeed a 7 day temp ban (in the cooler) that I set.

I considered extending this further as a result of an email he sent me trying to act the "Hard Man", but he shut up in time. and I took it no further.

So..... now all lessons are learned, and the slate wiped clean, lets start again :)

Why is "thermal energy" a different thing from heat?

Because thermal energy is energy, and heat is the process of transferring energy. This is yet another example of science having a definition that is more precise, or more precisely used, than the lay definition.

I don't think I'm confused about heat, or thermal energy, I think you guys are...

My above post is trying to point out that someone said "heat is not a thing". Maybe they meant it isn't static, but it certainly isn't "not a thing". This can't make sense, surely.

If anyone really wants a look at what someone doing research with nanomechanics thinks heat is, I have truckloads of stuff. But if we are supposed to be being careful with definitions of 'scientific' terms, I really can't see yet what I've posted or commented on that is inaccurate or not correct (about heat, entropy, or that other thing, temperature). So there.

P.S. please don't think I am being even a little bit serious...