Can someone explain to me why the experimental method would be the preferred method w

stidjadi

Can someone explain to me why the experimental method would be the preferred method when studying psychology?

why not a case study or survey?

First, a survey can be part of an experiment (the data acquisition part), so I'm not sure why that's part of your question. Second, case studies use tiny populations (in general) and so the results are difficult to extrapolate to other arenas and contexts (they are extrememly limited in scope).

As a general rule, the experimental method is preferred in all sciences, and since psychology is a science it's no different. Also, if you don't use experiment to support your positions, then you are more or less just speculating and making untestable statements and conclusions. Did I totally miss the point of your question though?

I always thought it would be good if psychologists ran experiements on themselves so they can observe the affects from the inside, using their training to observe subtle things that would not appear superfiscially. Many of these things may not be evident if they were only interviewing subjects with a particular condition.

For example, say a psychologist pioneer, was induced, medically, into a deep depression for six months, voluntarily. He is now on the inside of the depression, able to observe little details one could not see otherwise. This would give them an opportunity to wrestle with the depression using their scientific background, objectivity, and their techniques, to see if these really work inside the depression. It would take adjustments and improvements. But once the study was over, they would have new understanding from the inside out, that would allow them to create a meeting of the minds. It is sort of like a soldier who has been in battle, helping rookies.

This sort of happened to people who help others, with alcoholism and drug addictions. Many of these wrestled the beasts. The only difference is that the formal training often comes after the fact, relying on memory, instead of training first, and then consciously entering the realm of the beast. Maybe the problem is, once life is cushy, who would take the risk? It is easier to stay on the outside, looking in, fighting beasts through a wall. Although, some patients pull you over the wall to help them fight. But then another psycholgists pulls you back, to fight at a safer distance. Most of the studies produces caged data, relative to the scientists.

Can someone explain to me why the experimental method would be the preferred method when studying psychology?

why not a case study or survey?

Simple answer: Because it is a field of science, and therefore experimental procedures are a must. Case studies and surveys can be used, but they must follow standard scientific methods and procedures.