separation of a mixture

masterspaz

there`s a few ways you separate them, fractional crystalisation, a solvent to dissolve One of the 2 compounds and then filter, or destroying a compound and leaving the other.

for instance you could burn your powder mix so all the sugar is destroyed, then dissolve all this in water and then filter out the carbon, and recrystalise the KCl.

weigh the end product and take that from the starting mass, that will give you the Ratio, then you just work that out as a function of 100 to give your Percent.

thanks a lot for this info man.

I believe there is another way involving using this reaction:

AgNO3+KCl=AgCl+KNO3

so the basic idea is to get the solid part AgCl out and

use stoichiometry to figure out percent composition

which one do you think is easier to do?

btw, what is this method i just stated called?

thanks a lot

If you are planning to weigh the AgCl then this is gravimetry*. If you are planning to use a solution of a known concentration and add exactly enough to ppt all the Cl then it's called titration.

* Gravimetry is also the word for measuring the local strength of gravity.

You need a solvent that is selective as YT2095 suggests, I'd suggest ethanol or propanol to begin with, or possibly one of the lower ketones, acetone or methyl ethyl ketone which should dissolve the sucrose and leave MOST of the pot. chloride behind. Someone somewhere has probably tabulated the solubility of each in ethanol or acetone, but I'd guess that pot. chloride is probably slightly slightly soluble in ethanol and acetone. So the separation will not be perfect, but as a first pass with cheap readily available stuff it might not be bad. Supercritical carbon dioxide might also do it but that does not look cheap.

Crooked Mick of the Speewah

Crooked Mick and YT2095 had a good suggestion; using a solvant. One needs to use a solvant like a ketone or maybe chloroform. These will extract the sugar and then phase separate into a second layer.

Do your density measurement first for the combined solution, then extract the sugar. It may take a few extraction cycles for 95%. Discard this. Boil off the water to see how much KCl. One can then calculate the amout of sugar from the original density and amount of KCl collected.