Sunscreen

thaibrawler

I was told by my teacher that suncreen has no point. It really doesnt protect you. He said it was for money and such. I dont remember the chemical he mentioned that said it was harmful, when I think of it Ill add it.

So now my point is it it really true? I think that one whould not need sunscreen because if your body is feeling hot, and you are turning red isnt it telling you to go home.

I got sunburned a few years ago when I went to the beach. I only got sunburned on my back, where I couldn't apply sunscreen properly. So sunscreen has to do something to protect the skin. And if your skin turns red, isn't it already damaged?

Thai, the name of the compound is Titanium dioxide (TiO2). It's a known carcinogen.

Dunford R, Salinaro A, Cai L, Serpone N,

Horikoshi S, Hidaka H, Knowland J

University of Oxford, Department of

Biochemistry, UK.

This is now a known carcinogen Titanium dioxide (TiO2) has been noted (US

Federal Register, 43FR38206, 25 August 1978) to

be an unsafe physical sunscreen because it

reflects and scatters UVB and UVA in sunlight.

However, TiO2 absorbs about 70% of incident UV,

and in aqueous environments this leads to

the generation of hydroxyl radicals which can

initiate oxidations. Using chemical methods, we

show that all sunscreen TiO2 samples tested

catalyze the photo-oxidation of a representative

organic substrate (phenol). We also show that

sunlight-illuminated TiO2 catalyses DNA damage

both in vitro and in human cells. These results

may be relevant to the overall effects of sunscreens.

PMID: 9414101, UI: 98074912

45: Toxicol Lett 1995 Oct;80(1-3):61-7

I use to handle 55 kilo bags of that to mix with nylon and hostaform beads as colorant for plastic injection moulds, no warnings there either, the other carcinogenic dyes were all locked up in a special cupboard that you`de need to sign for and have weighed.

as faf says they`re in pills too.

maybe it`s something that`s ok internaly but reacts badly upon UV exposure?

I`ve just had a look at some factor 12 sunscreen, there`s no TiO2 in it (a whole bunch of other stuff, but no dioxide)? ;)

• 3 months later...
Guest JerzyGirl

TiO2 is used in almost every type of cosmetic product as a white pigment and as a physical sunscreen. It can provide a pretty high SPF and an even higher one when combined with organic chemical sunscreens that abosorb UV radiation. I have never heard that TiO2 is carcenogenic or hazardous. I work in the cosmetic industry and I'm around the stuff all the time. The chemical sunscreens are more hazardous and irritating that ZnO and TiO2.

The SPF is the ratio between the time it takes for UV exposure to produce erythema (redness) on protected skin over the time it takes to cause reddness on unprotected skin. UVB radiation is what causes sunburn, UVA is what contributes to wrinkles, skin cancer and suntans. The SPF of a product has absolutely nothing to do with UVA protection. While many products claim UVA/UVB protection there is currently no way to quantify UVA protection. This is something the FDA in the US is looking into. In the USA sunscreens are considered drugs and are heavily regulated by the FDA, who is banning the terms "sunblock" and "waterproof" on labeling for sunscreen bottles.