New Forum

Seeing as this is a science-themed discussion board, why don't we start a forum for members to discuss their (peer-reviewed) publications.

It could work like this: when a member publishes a paper or gives a talk at a conference, or writes a thesis or something, they can advertise it here, and link to the slides/publication, and engage the other members by answering questions, etc. They would serve as a moderator for the discussion, and the threads would be strictly professional---i.e. no flaming, trolling, etc. The moderator of the forum would have the right to delete off-topic posts. It wouldn't be a HUGE job, because (I'm assuming) there wouldn't be THAT many threads.

I think that this is a good idea to foster some interdisciplinary discussion---I know very little about, say, biology, but would certainly like to have the chance to engage in discussions.

What do you guys think?

I don't know how many actively publishing members there are here at SFN.

Blog system, on the other hand, is an idea we like, and which could serve the same purpose.

I like the idea. I'd be willing to synopsize stuff that has my name on it that gets presented and/or published. Blog or forum section; either one would work for me.

Blog system, on the other hand, is an idea we like, and which could serve the same purpose.

One day I might stop suggesting it :P

On a related note I should have my name on a paper for the first time quite soon! :D Based on some work I've just finished :D

Members could sign up to have their own blog hosted (free) on SFN, where they could post science-related articles, comments, and general blog-stuff. SFN staff would worry about the technical details (blog software, server stuff, etc.) so the bloggers don't have to mess with it all.

Just to echo other responses I think it's a good idea...albeit I have nothing to submit. Will there be a facility to ask questions, so I can pick somebody's brains on any technical details ?

I'd prefer that Q&A be referred back to the forums, at least if it's about technical stuff. A centralized location for that. You'll always have those people that don't search to see if something has been asked before, but at least if it's all in one place, then at least some of them might trip over the answer by accident, and save that little bit of time & effort of saying "we've discussed this before" and looking up the location.

With the setup we're going for, you'd get a commenting system on your blog so people could ask questions about specific posts.

However, to blog, you have to be a forum member, so the people should be able to accept questions about their posts on the forums. (It would be easier to put it on the blog, but if someone posts about, say, string theory, a thread could be opened on the forums for people to discuss whatever aspect of string theory was mentioned. If you only want to say "that's neat" in response to the post, it would be far more appropriate to use the comment system.)