Bitter Magnetics

andy73

Hi all, im new here so first "hello all"

I have a few questions to the smarter members here about Bitter magnetics, i am working on a project based on solenodes, well air core one really, anyway i have gone through the normal copper coils of different sizes number of turns ect and have goten so really effetive results.

now i need to make a much more powerfull magnet and i was wondering if a Bitter magnet (air core) would be the way forward. like i said i have made and used coil magnets with upto 10Kv running through them, i can up the power if need be, but it must be a small unit with dimentions like these:

id: 7mm, od: uptp 50mm L: upto 60mm

I know its small but would a bitter magnet be the right idea? i only need to pulse the magnet so if this is a no goer then dose anyone have an idea and construction details for a pulse magnet, except i dont want to use an explosive pulse magnet...???

anyway if any one has any ideas or info on Bitter magnets and or non explosive pulse magnets that would be fantastic.

as regards to the cooling effects required this is not an issue as it is intended to be used in a sub-zero enviroment.

cheers:doh:

If it is intended to be pulsed (by capacitive discharge perhaps?) then you would definately _not_ want to use any iron or ferromagnetic core. You need to minimize self inductance so as to maximize peak current. Fewer turns of heavier guage is the usual method.

Just in case anyone isn't familliar with the term

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_solenoid

Anyway, if you are using kilovolts to power magnets then I hope they are pulsed. That makes some of the problems more difficult (like building the power suuply and insulating the coil) but it means that the physical strength of the thing can be lower.

What is the application?

• 2 weeks later...