1+1= not 2?

bored_teen

this info is from my dad:

my uncle is a math major. he used to explain to my dad how 1+1 does not equal 2. he would go through the steps, but my dad would never see any twist.

my uncle lives in california, and i don't feel like calling him in the middle of the night to ask him. so how does 1+1 not equal 2?????

In terms of painfully pedantic axiomatic maths/logic, the definition of 2 is often 1+1. If you're using your definitions properly you wont come across contradictions like that.

Trans, when does it equal 11? Base-1?

I know. It is arbitrary though, in that '+' can mean addition or OR or whatever you need it to mean at the time. And there's no real reason to use + over §.

You create definitions and axioms in the hope that they create good maths, any definition that you use is as made up as the next.

well there is unless you want to get Really silly 9I don`t think the OP wanted that), take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_gate

note also that "+" can be replaced by "V" if using Formal Logic operators instead.

so that squiggle thing you used is incorrect it`s V, and something like "/\" for AND.

trust me, I do this stuff in my sleep :)

Why is the squiggle thing incorrect? It will mean what I want it to mean, sure it's fairly non-standard notation but that's my point, the way you write stuff down doesn't add anything to what you're actually talking about.

I think it was helpful up until around Post 6.

These helpful points have been made so far:

1. In base 1, 1+1=11
  2. Definitions are essentially made up, 1+1 doesn't have to =2 if you don't want it to. However the commonly accepted definition is that 1+1=2.
  3. There are plenty of erroneous proofs that come up with seemingly irrational contradictions, a search for "divide by zero" will help you find them. This is probably what the OP was looking for.
  4. In logic, the '+' symbol means something different to what you are used to it meaning.

The rest was just me being terribly pedantic and you encouraging me.

if read Literally in Logic "1+1= not 2" is perfectly True!

let me explain, 1+1= 1V1

not 2 = ¬2

2 = 10 therefore not 2 (¬10) = 01

now read the original, 1V1=¬10

boiled down it`s: 1V1=1

That`s the bottom line :)