Ignoring the News for the Next Week

Pangloss

Maybe it's a bit silly, but I absolutely loathe spoilers. I hear that some news sites are ruining the last Harry Potter novel by publishing early reviews with spoilers. And I suspect other news organizations will pick up the story and run with it, carrying the spoilers along for the ride. That really makes me mad.

So for the next week, or however many days it takes me to plow through HP7, I'm boycotting all news services. Bah!

I truly wish someone in the entertainment marketing industry would grow a pair and start the "no previews, no spoilers" campaign. Do they truly believe I won't read the next Harry Potter book or watch the next X-Men movie if they don't tell me / show me all the best bits? I get so sick of previews that give away everything of importance.

All my best experiences with movies and books lately have been complete surprises, nothing or very little known beforehand. Don't you think it would be tremendously effective to see a commercial or read a review that simply says, "Folks, you are just not going to believe how exciting this. We aren't going to taint this experience for you with trailers and spoilers. You'll just have to come and see"? :cool:

THe only article's I've read on the matter vowed in the first sentence not to contain spoiler's. The graduate student mentor I work with peeked and is threatening to tell me the secret ending. I warned him that I'd cut out his tongue if he told me how it ends, and it will be the last thing he ever says.