would this happen ??

ramsharma

yes it would happen, and the pressure it happens at depends on the temperature.

or, more specifically, the vapour pressure which is proportional to temperature.

things boil when the vapour pressure is the same as the pressure of the system. so you need to lower the pressure ofthe system till this pressure is reached.

off the top of my head, it is 4.2 kPa at room temperature

This is a standard physics demonstration, since this is several percent of atmosphere and is easily attainable. Mechanical pump, or possibly even a hand pump, and a bell jar.

(But i_a must like it warmer than I do, since that's the vapor pressure at 30 C. :) At 20 C it's 2.3 kPa.)

http://www.fordhamprep.org/gcurran/sho/sho/reference/table74a.htm

Presumably, this is why there are no lakes or rivers left on Mars. Since the atmosphere became stripped away by the Solar winds, the pressure dropped and hey presto.

What didn't freeze into the surface simple evaporated away.

Hi,

As I was reading the gas laws - a thought came by, would liquid water change to gaseous form by reducing the pressure only.

if yes, at what pressure would this happen - assuming temp is kept constant.

Ram Sharma

bvgsrs@yahoo.com

actually, the martian surface has a maximum temperature of -5 *C with a pressure of 700-900 Pa

at 0*C water has a vapour pressure of 611 Pa. it would not boil but it would freeze.

it would have to get to 2*C to boil.

surface pressures and temperatures taken from wikipedia.

vapour pressures of water taken from Thermodynamic and Transport Properties of Fluids, 5th edition, G.F.C. Rogers and Y.R. Mayhew.

no, some would evapourate and the rest would freeze.

you can try this yourself, you'll need a pressure cooker, a stack of bricks a small fire, and a long stick.

fill the pressure cooker with water and stack bricks on top instead of using the clamps.then put it on the fire(do this outside). wait until the release valve starts letting out steam. this means the temperature is around 120*C and the vapour pressure is 2 bar. (now, the dangerous bit, try doing it from behind cover) using the stick, push the bricks up, the lid will fly off and probably a brick or two so watch out. there will be a great woosh of steam as a lot of it flash boils. after this has happened and the lid has landed, go look in the pot, there will still be a good amount of water left.

And then the water that's left, using the Martian example, would then freeze.

But then what about the water vapour in the thin atmosphere, would that then rain back as a fine frozen mist I wonder?

I wish I could go there and find out :cool:

lets see if I`ve got this right, you say 700-900 Pa, so if we be generous and make it 1000 Pa (or 1 KPa) and here on Earth 101KPa is standard room pressure, then it`s well over 1/100`th of Earths pressure on Mars?

correct?

Even though it would be impossible to measure, the pressure must increase to some degree, even though it may just be a local effect.

After all, if you left enough bowls of water out, at some point it would be measurable. But I take your point and you are of course quite right :embarass:

no, the pressure would not noticably increase from a bowl of water left out.

That sounds about right.

The atmoshpere of Mars is relatively thin, atmospheric pressure on the surface varies from around 30 Pa (0.03 kPa) on Olympus Mons to over 1155 Pa (1.155 kPa) in the depths of Hellas Planitia, with a mean surface level pressure of 600 Pa (0.6 kPa).

This is less than 1% of the surface pressure on Earth (101.3 kPa).

-- Wiki --

lets see if I`ve got this right, you say 700-900 Pa, so if we be generous and make it 1000 Pa (or 1 KPa) and here on Earth 101KPa is standard room pressure, then it`s well over 1/100`th of Earths pressure on Mars?

correct?

okay, for a thought experiment, we'll assume that mars is a uniform sphere at say, 0*C(i have the data for the vapour pressure of ater at this temperature handy). and that its atmosphere has a surface pressure of 1kPa(for the sake of arguement) and is bone dry(no water vapour). say you then coated mars in a layer of water. the water would evapourate till it had a partial pressure of 611Pa in the atmosphere. then it would reach equilibrium. so the final pressure of the atmosphere would be 1kPa + 611Pa which is 1611Pa. this is the maximum pressure you would be able to get on mars with water. temperature changes are neglected because these would eventually disappear as the planet regained thermal equilibrium.

Presumably, this is why there are no lakes or rivers left on Mars. Since the atmosphere became stripped away by the Solar winds, the pressure dropped and hey presto.

What didn't freeze into the surface simple evaporated away.

After reading through this thread, I went back to this post. Kindly explain the Solar winds more thoroughly to me, please. imp