Telescope for hobby

murulidhara

By the time you have bought all the materials, it will almost certainly be cheaper to buy a cheap scope. If you realy want to make one theres lots of info on the net about making lenses and focal distances etc. It is a lot of work though. You may not be successful on the first attempt. Good luck though.

to view Planets properly you`ll need quite a bit of power, and also a Very stable base and tripod with smooth tracking controls.

I have a 500X mag here and you can Just About see Saturn and make out the rings on a good night.

that should give you Some idea of what to look out for in way of Design anyway :)

You should be able to find everything you need through these links

However, you can pick up a 4.5" reflector telescope for under $300 new, I picked one up at a garage sale for $60.00 before. They are great for beginners, and you can clearly see Saturn's rings on a clear night (you have to get away from light pollution though... take a drive to the country)

If you have never had a scope before, I recommend you buy one of these first, get to know how they are designed and how they work, and then decide if you want to build a better one for yourself.

Check on EBay, there are some good deals on 4.5" and 6" telescopes, if you go for a 4.5", try to stay away from the shorter tube (they call them 'fast' telescopes) they look nicer but the quality suffers.

• 7 months later...

I have seen the Moons of Jupiter and Saturn, as well as the rings with just binoculars.

I have seen all the major bands of Jupiter with my 90mm refractor bought new for 150 dollars, 8 yrs ago.

$200 buys you a brand new computerized telescope with 4k object database.