Teaching Myself Physics

somerlad

I am aware that this is a very stereotypic post for such a new member, but I'm not sure how else to go about this. I want to teach myself physics. I had two years of physics in high school, and that is the extent of it. There are a multitude of books on physics and with such little knowledge of the subject I have no idea where to start. This is where you come in.

I am asking for a book list of some sort that gives an introductory progression to physics in general, then to each of the major disciplines within physics.

Any help is appreciated,

Somerlad

My personal opinion... this approach may get old fast.

You could instead read some of the "theories" presented here (or elsewhere) and see if you can come up with arguments against (or for) them. Of course, this involves reading up in that particular area, but it might be fun for a while. And forums like this aren't short of "theories" that show all of known science to be incorrect....

Whatever you do though, good luck.

Cheers,

w=f[z]

;345001']Actually... if it's a book list you want' date=' we'll need to know if you want the "mathy"-type, or books more for the layman.

Cheers[/quote']

Both, but I would prefer the "mathy"-type books for the general physics.

Hi Somerlad,

Well, we generally call a book by its authors name. So here are a few suggestions, some of which are standard texts used in the courses:

For intro physics, that is, the first two-semester sequence-type of book, they are all just about the same. Whichever you can get the cheapest will suffice. But Serway, and Resnick, Halliday, & Krane are pretty standard.

For modern physics (physics III typically), I'm not really sure anymore, but Krane has a nice one and Rolff is another.

For quantum mechanics, Griffiths is pretty well used. Sakurai and Cohen-Tannoudji are more at the graduate level.

For astro, Carroll & Ostlie or Zeilik is pretty standard.

For electricity and magnetism, Griffiths is pretty standard. (The same Griffiths as QM.) Jackson at the graduate level.

For mechanics, I'm not really sure anymore for the undergrad level, but at the graduate level, Goldstein is standard.

For general relativity, Schutz, Carroll, and Hartle are pretty standard. (The Carroll one used to be able to get free (pdf) online....) Carroll being the most advanced.

For thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, I'm not really sure about the undergrad level, but I used Reif in grad school.

For quantum field theory, Peskin & Schroder is pretty standard for grad school, but Ryder has a nice paperback.

For math methods, Boas for undergrad and Arfken & Weber for grad-level.

For optics, Hecht is pretty standard.

For string theory, Polchinski. But it may be dated by now....

I better warn you before you spend a lot of money though... most of these are pretty advanced. If I were you, I'd start out with a cheap calculus-based intro book and go from there. Although, I think Boas might be a good one to have handy.

Good luck,

w=f[z]

;345006']Hi Somerlad' date='

Well, we generally call a book by its authors name. So here are a few suggestions, some of which are standard texts used in the courses:

For [b']intro physics[/b], that is, the first two-semester sequence-type of book, they are all just about the same. Whichever you can get the cheapest will suffice. But Serway, and Resnick, Halliday, & Krane are pretty standard.

For modern physics (physics III typically), I'm not really sure anymore, but Krane has a nice one and Rolff is another.

For quantum mechanics, Griffiths is pretty well used. Sakurai and Cohen-Tannoudji are more at the graduate level.

For astro, Carroll & Ostlie or Zeilik is pretty standard.

For electricity and magnetism, Griffiths is pretty standard. (The same Griffiths as QM.) Jackson at the graduate level.

For mechanics, I'm not really sure anymore for the undergrad level, but at the graduate level, Goldstein is standard.

For general relativity, Schutz, Carroll, and Hartle are pretty standard. (The Carroll one used to be able to get free (pdf) online....) Carroll being the most advanced.

For thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, I'm not really sure about the undergrad level, but I used Reif in grad school.

For quantum field theory,Peskin & Schroder is pretty standard for grad school, but Ryder has a nice paperback.

For math methods, Boas for undergrad and Arfken & Weber for grad-level.

For optics, Hecht is pretty standard.

For string theory, Polchinski. But it may be dated by now....

I better warn you before you spend a lot of money though... most of these are pretty advanced. If I were you, I'd start out with a cheap calculus-based intro book and go from there. Although, I think Boas might be a good one to have handy.

Good luck,

w=f[z]

I agree with most of all these recommendations, but I have a few to add. At the undergraduate mechanics level, I believe Marion is the standard.

A great book on waves and optics is book titled simply waves from the Berkeley series of text books, if you can find it. All the books in the Berkeley series are great.

Another great source for classical physics is anything by Landau and Liftshitz, especially The Classical Theory of Fields. Russian authors are the kings of all forms of writing not just literature.

A nice little book on symplectic mechanics is Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics by V.I. Arnold

I feel like I have to mention a book on condensed matter since w=f(z) didn't. For undergraduate Kittel is pretty standard, but I would skip this book and go straight to Solid State Physics by Ashcroft and Mermin. It's a little older, but still the best. You could always supplement this with A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter Physics by Taylor and Heinonen.

I don't see how you can even mention relativity and not mention Gravitation by Wheeler, Misner, Thorne. Granted it may be 35 years old, but it is still a tome of knowledge.

As far as QFT is concerned, DO NOT BUY PESKIN & SCHROEDER. I don't care if it is the standard used in grad schools. This book, in my opinion, SUCKS! I much prefer Weinberg's treatment of the subject. Another great book in QFT is Itzykson and Zuber, but this book is a little older and will probably have to be supplemented with a more current text. I've heard Zee's book has some interesting applications to Condensed Matter, but I haven't had a chance to look at it.

If you want to look at an alternative to String Theory such as Loop Quantum Gravity check out John Baez's book Gauge Fields, Knots, and Gravity or Carlo Rovelli's book Quantum Gravity. An online copy of this book can be found at http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/book.pdf

Well, there you go. If you actually read, and understood, all this shit, you'd be a professional physicist.

As a general first text at university level I'd recommend University Physics by Young.

By high school. I assume you mean 16-18yo?

I'd add 2 recommendations to the above, Quantum Mechanics by Alastair, I. M. Rae, and for optics Pedrotti, and Pedrotti :)

I think most of the books recommended (although good books in general) are too advanced based on just having high school physics.

You need to start with one of the books intended for first year university level. Reading that will give you the background to start to read more advanced books. Armed with a good grounding in "basic physics" you can then go on a pursue more specific topics.

The only book I have used at this level is "Fundamentals of Physics", by Halliday, Resnick and Walker. It contains quite a lot but has a very easy to read style and plenty of exercises.

I am sure there are many other similar books out there.

I agree with ajb. I see no point at all to recommend QFT books to a beginner. I also agree with the "start with something easy"-proposal, I'd even go below 1st year university level for a start. You can read a general intro book and then start from the questions that were left open to go to more advanced books. Halliday, Resnick, Krane (and the 2nd part) seems like a good start for that, but it's the only english books I know, so I can't compare them to other books.

EDIT: vv You're right, Rasori. But there's still no point in recommending the books :D

You're right, Rasori. But there's still no point in recommending the books

I don't know---it'll give him (her?) something to look forward to. Even when you're teaching students, it always makes sense to keep them focused on where they want to get.

Maybe somerlad buys a QFT book an reads the introduction, and gets an idea of what kinds of things are important to focus on, if this is what he's interested in.

For example, if you're interested in high energy theory, I would focus much attention on Classical Dynamics (usually the first semester of a two semester course in undergrad), electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics. If you are interested in condensed matter physics, you want to understand statistical mechanics, electrodynamics and quantum mechanics. If you are interested in astrophysics, then you want to understand classical dynamics very well, etc. etc.

Even if (s)he's interested in the whole of physics, it's a good idea to keep in mind the canonical textbooks.

But, of course, this is just my opinion.

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. In taking 2 years of physics in high school the second year equated to physics 1 and 2 at the university level (we received credit from the local state school by taking all the tests they were required to take).

I'm not starting from scratch; I just need a quick refresher. As far as specifics go, I am most interested in particle physics (antimatter, specifically) and astrophysics.

So I'd first look at a classical dynamics book like Marion and Thornton.

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Dynamics-Particles-Systems-Thornton/dp/0534408966/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0874372-1112034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182748942&sr=8-1

You may be able to find a used copy at your local university. Once you've digested this, or while you are digesting it, check out Griffiths two books on Quantum Mechanics and Electrodynamics.

You should be very careful that you really understand these three textbooks---it will make everything you do next much easier.

After this, then move on to advanced stuff---once you've got these books down (maybe one-two years studying in your spare time, longer perhaps), you should look at three other books: Goldstein (Classical Mechanics), Jackson (Electrodynamics) and a Quantum book, like Sakurai or Shankar (there are several good ones). Also, you can get a copy of Griffiths Particle Physics book---this is a very good and detailed introduction.

Hopefully this will give you a good start. This is typically as much as a second year grad student studies---it's enough to get you a master's degree in most universities. Take your time, and be thourough---don't shortcut anything. (trust me) Solutions to Most of the excercizes in these textbooks can be found online as well.

Good luck!

well if thats the case I'd recommend studying HRK (haliday, resnick, krane)'s "physics" to get caught up on the basics. then studying a book on vector calculus Thompson has a decent introduction. Then move on to the more advanced stuff such as a book on mathematical methods (Boa's) and then quantum mechanics, and some mechanics. From there you could study advanced quantum mechanics and then Quantum Field theory. And then you could study particle physics.

It would probably take 2 years to get through all that and actually learn it, but if you want to you can do it.