Help about science!

manta

I'm kinda new here so if I did a violation just let me know.

My 1st year highschool sister asked me about her assignment in science.

1) What is science? [already answered]

2) How does it start?

-That one I don't understand it's pretty hard to search into the internet. I can't get a simple answer, reffering to the education level/standard of a 1st year highschool.

I just want a simple and short answer for this, about 3 or 4 sentence I guess.

Not helping. I thought people here can give me some helping posts. Because this is the Science forums and I know people here are science geeks/professionals.

I just asked a simple question.

I just asked a simple question.

Well it's not a very straight forward question, but considering it's a 1st year high school question, then I'd say science started due to a desire to understand nature. So science started out of curiosity on how the world around us operates.

This would of started from simple experiments such as, early man found that rubbing two rocks together created heat.

How was my answer not sufficient? Science starts with observation. It then goes on to hypothesis, prediction, experiment, theory. Empirical observation being the most important factor all the way along.

for me it started with a large bang, spanner to the forehead and a 'WOAH! it wasn't supposed to do that, what happened?!?'

A spanner during my informative years here (US) was a type of wrench; I don't think it would make much of a "bang" if it hit my head.

Is a "spanner" defined otherwise in Scotland? As an example, we here do not use the word "gudgeon". imp

A spanner during my informative years here (US) was a type of wrench; I don't think it would make much of a "bang" if it hit my head.

Well no, but the "bang" might be what propelled the spanner AT your head.

manta, when you ask "how does it start", do you mean what are the historical origins of modern science, or do you mean how does any given scientific enquiry begin?

Is a "spanner" defined otherwise in Scotland? As an example, we here do not use the word "gudgeon". imp

yeah same thing. we only call the adjustable ones wrenches though. and it was a bang that propelled the spanner at my head. i was looking through some stuff in my garage and i dropped a metal box which made some sparks and ignited a build up of propane from an old leaky(and i thought empty) gas canister and flung a spanner sitting on top a bit of plywood at my head.

No, not all science involves experiments, it's sometimes a lot more practical just to take observations from nature. If for example you were trying to work out how the planets moved, first thing you'd do would be look at them.

Well, thanks the three! You did post a reallly helpful answer but it tooked days before my simple question was answered. And my sister already submitted her assignment. With a rate of an C, If people here had answered earlier she might have had an A+. Wenks!!!

I'd ask for a refund of the full price you paid.

Anyway, there is no simple answer because various lines of inquiry are different. Something like "observe, hypothesize, test, refine" might work in general, but in specific application, things will vary.

What a lovely person.

I don't understand asynchronous discussion technologies, so it's your fault that my sibling (who is apparently incapable of independent research) got a mark that reflects her actual level of effort[/b']."

What a lovely person.

lol, I particularly like:

I ALWAYS GETS BANNED AT ANY FORUM SITE I VISIT.

manta, calm down, we're all just random people who have real jobs/lives here sometimes replies will be slow, although it appears not in this case, and the question depends alot on context.

No, really I always get banned/warned in every forums sites I visit this is my latest one so I'm waiting for a warn here.

And Indepedent research is hard I'm just looking for a crappy simple answer and what does the internet gives me? A whole essay for that simple answer.

Oh and yeah after my 1st post I did not visit here again after that 37min.

sorry I'm just an another Asian morron!(Moron) thx to all for your cooperation.

Wenks=Just an chat expression like bleh!.

No, really I always get banned/warned in every forums sites I visit this is my latest one so I'm waiting for a warn here.

And Indepedent research is hard I'm just looking for a crappy simple answer and what does the internet gives me? A whole essay for that simple answer.

Oh and yeah after my 1st post I did not visit here again after that 37min.

That's one of the big problems of going to a forum for answers.

Forum discussion is asynchronous - not everyone is on at the same time, and not everyone knows about everything. So it is not always possible for you to predict how long you need to wait before a good answer comes along.

If you need quality answers in a short time span, it's useful to ensure you are careful how you phrase your question. That way the thread doesn't go wandering off in a direction of its own, and when you check back you should have more relevant answers.

I am sure if you hang around for a bit you will figure out how to quickly get the sort of information you need.