What do you think of cloning?

BubbaGump04

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blike said in post # :

Assuming personality could be transferred, it'd be interesting to study the psychology of it all. Would the parents eventually accept the new "clone" as the original?

A very good question. I don't think it can be answered without doing it. Personally, I think although the parents would come to accept the clone as their own child, as long as they knew it was a clone, they could not accept it as the original (i.e. awareness of the fact negates the fallacy). So there would always exist the basis for comparisons (as in my previous post).

cloning parts of a human body is acceptable coz this will b a medical breakthrough in fighting many kinds of disease

however cloning a whole human somehow not acceptable in our world for now ...

we humans still cant accept another individual with the exact copy of genetic makeup standing in front of us alive

imagine 1 person can have so many copies of you yourself and you will become less valuable than expected .... you will b replaced anytime

if it comes with the technologies of genetic engineering

you will hav a better you in no time .... :rolleyes:

Alvloh:

we humans still cant accept another individual with the exact copy of genetic makeup standing in front of us alive

[/b]

Sure we can, they're called twins

I have no problem with stem cell research

Have a major problem with cloning individuals for "use," human or other feeling/sentient species, but does not rest specifically on cloning but on the exploitation of others

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

We can only bearly clone. Most of the experiments die, a small percentage survive.

(a) Depends what you're cloning.

(b) It's easier to improve an existing technology like cloning than it is to come up with a whole new one, like tailoring macro-organisms.

I agree that cloning should not be used for personal use, like in the upcoming Godsend where the couple clone their dead son because they want him back but they don't consider the consequences. It makes perfect sense that a parent would want their child back, but what this couple does not understand is that their cloned son will look the same, but be completely different in every other way.

sorry i missed out that ...

what i was saying is twins and cloning is totally different

because in twins since birth we are actually naturally formed and have the same genetic makeup and that wont increase the no. of individuals ....

however for cloning even i dont have a twin brother i can still clon myself again & again.... making so many copies ....

so what i say is humans still cant accept that situation

:D :bs:

Genes may set the potential, but the environment affects gene expression. Twins would share the same prenatal environment (though one could affect the other's environment by taking more of the nutrients). In most instances, they would be reared together as well. With clones, you can raise the clone in a completely different environment. A clone could even be of a different generation than the person s/he was cloned from. So I think a clone would be less like the original person than identical twins are like each other.

Alvloh, do not think your objection is clear yet. Having a genetic replicate or adding another individual to the population count are shared features. If runaway cloning is the ony problem for you, would you object to a single clone then?

I think part of the popular appeal of or distaste for vanity cloning rests on the fact that people don't realize the clone will not be a duplicate. For those to whom it does appeal expect an inability to face mortality plays a role.

• 1 month later...

I think cloning for any reason is alright. If you want to use it to create new cells for medical purposes, that's fine. If you want to have a baby using your dead baby's cell, that's alright too. It's your choice.

I read your comments about having expectations, but even if there were no clones, your parents will still have expectations and compare you to others. My parents compare me with my cousins. It is traumatizing, but all parents have expectations nonetheless. I personally wouldn't want to clone my kid if my kid died. I'd prefer adopting. But if the parents can neither have another baby safely nor want to adopt but still want to have kids, it's their decision.