Amending the constitution by statute

ecoli

This is what certain legislators are trying to do (which is in itself unconstitutional).

By this, of course, I mean giving senatorial representation to the District of Columbia. Its a district for a reason, and the constitution clearly states that only states get representation in the legislative branches.

If DC gets a representative by statute, what about the US Virgin Islands, Guam, and various other bases, territories and districts?

I find this highly unsettling and I sincerely hope it gets overturned in the courts if they ever push it through.

Polosi, or the democratic party is playing an old hold card, to add an additional seat for her party. additionally in an effort to enhance her parties 2008 changes, many arguable bills have passed the house.

some years back, the correct method or making Washington DC, a state (the constitutions requirement) did pass both the house, senate and was signed by the president. (think Carter), but was killed, for lack of State ratifications.

this would have allowed 2 senators and the 1 house member. the current bill to allow one house member with voting rights, would be struck down by the Supreme Court, but long before this the Senate will kill, by filibuster or the president, would certainly veto. in this case the senate, does not have the votes to override, such a veto.

personally, i feel the people, of WDC, should have representation, however i would suggest through either the Maryland or Virginia political structure. there are advantages, primarily unlimited funding, from congress, which makes this a problem for DC politicians...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I find this ironically amusing. The people of Washington DC, the capitol of the nation born to the rallying cry of "No Taxation without Representation" pay taxes but have no representation. :D

Sorry, but I find this ironically amusing. The people of Washington DC, the capitol of the nation born to the rallying cry of "No Taxation without Representation" pay taxes but have no representation. :D

the short answer is; this is what was to be under the constitution.

as for representation, they are by far the most represented city in the world by a government, the entire Congress. they also are represented, however with no vote. they do vote for the president.

as i said above, the city of Washington, has refused the notion to be part of another state. 25% of city funding is provided by congress, which would need to come from the choice of states. these states do not want this and the city politicians also do not want. the efforts to become a 51st state, has been defeated, in short by the 50 states. the idea of my way or no way, for

1/600th of the total, is not a good approach. i won't bother you with, the crime, educational and other worst of statistics...

How do you figure?

as said, the District of Columbia, along with the city of Washington are the responsibility of the US Congress, in all areas. that is Senators and Congress people, are responsible, each to their state and also WDC.

since i mention the total chaos that already exist in WDC, they seem to be at best ineffective. never the less, the US Constitution clearly set out the program with much in mind. one of which, was the Federal Government should be independent of any States authority.

i would rather not go back to the independence war or the 1812 war. the colonist had problems with a little more the tea tax and you well know this.

the political structure, of Washington, in short wants its cake and eat it too. taxes on Government property alone amounts to 28% of the total property and most all GDP, is by or from government entities, would triple collection the first day. the State of DC, would then be effecting national interest, just what the founders did not want...

I don't think they should get representation, or get statehood, or join a state. Let's just not pretend they're represented. They aren't. That's the whole idea, as you say.

That's part of the reason I wouldn't want to live in DC, incidentally (though hardly the only one). I like being part of a democracy. I mean, sure, for obvious reasons, there's a lot of "pork" in DC, but I don't think that's really "having their cake." Most states get more federal money than they pay in federal taxes, some ridiculously so (e.g. Alaska).

Also, what does the crime rate have to do with anything?