Live Forever?

Guest zagen

Do you want to Live Forever?

Yes, it's a joke webpage, you've probably heard of it a long time ago, and it's a far fetched Idea, but is it possible? Has anyone read much or know much about the theories of cells dying? The "celular clock" theory has been around, but I dont think it's highly regarded. Is it all about the heart weakening or other things malfunctioning? Why does this happen? just because of cellular breakdown, clogged aurteries, and sudden weakness of the heart muscle? Are there many studies being done, and if so what are the theories?

I don't mean is it just possible for this guy's idea to work, but is it actually theoretically possible to live forever?

Hmmm.. not entirely true.

fixed magnets commercialy available that they sell as "heal everything" jobbies are as cap says, placebo effect. however magnetic feilds esp at osscilation can be devastating biologicaly in the EM sense. and they effect us passively too, else MRI scans wouldn`t work :)

One of the primary causes of aging in the erosion of the telomeres into functional genes. Every time DNA is copied, a little bit at the very end is lost in the region called the telomere. Telomerase in the enzyme that repairs these, but eventually its levels decline and parts of functional genes get cut off. If we could increase the telemerase levels, we could easily extend life by a few decades; it's been done in rats resulting in 3x the normal life span. Granted this is not forever, but its a step towards it.

EinsteinTheory said in post # :

Everything dies eventually.

... unless nothing kills it, including itself and aging by loss of telomeres.

i heard that trees don't have telomeres, and they don't need them somehow. this would likely mean that some outside influence has to kill them, and would explain the rare, but very real 5,000 year old trees.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Arenageth

Hi i may be new here and i hope you dont mind me posting this. But i read that there is a part in the DNA that when isolated and taken out can stop the aging prosses. But im a little sceptial as most people would be but then i remember that there is a gene in our body that is a A.K.A selfdestruct gene that can triger tumas. so i fugure its possible.

I assume you mean in trees, well Im not quite sure. But anyway, I have heard that humans have many many "waste" or extra genes. So if we increased the amount of extra genes in DNA, we could extend the amount of time it takes for the DNA to ware down when undergoing mitosis, and possibly live longer???

This may sound crazy, please correct me if I am wrong, ad forgive me if this is obserd, I dont take AP bio till next year :-D

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid said in post #:
I assume you mean in trees, well Im not quite sure. But anyway, I have heard that humans have many many "waste" or extra genes. So if we increased the amount of extra genes in DNA, we could extend the amount of time it takes for the DNA to ware down when undergoing mitosis, and possibly live longer???
This may sound crazy, please correct me if I am wrong, ad forgive me if this is obserd, I dont take AP bio till next year :-D

I don't think that would work. Extra DNA can cause problems. For instance, Down's syndrone is caused by an extra copy of chromosome 21. Even if you're just adding "waste" DNA, it could still affect regulation of functioning genes.