Waste

Royston

This stemmed from the fuel taxes thread in the politics forum, and a front page I was reading while waiting for a work colleague. Basically this is a think tank for waste reduction, I'll give you a couple of examples and the more bright ideas the better...

In Italy, rather than chucking their wine bottles away it's possible to get refills at the off-license.

In Greece, rather than buying olive oil in small expensive bottles, they take aluminum containers to the source (olive orchards.)

Rather than throwing my plastic bags away (after shopping) I use them to wrap my sandwiches for work.

There's plenty more I could think of, but you get the idea. So if you have any waste saving tips, please share them.

Well, biggest by far is that I found an apartment close to school and walk every day (campus parking costs a fortune and there's *never* any spaces by the meters).

I also steal, erm, 'recycle' the campus paper into snake cage lining.

Mokele

Some recycling shops in our place buy bottles, some scrap metals, and plastics. So, what we do is save our junk so that we can sell them to these shops and earn money.

Our school have paper strippers. They also earn money from the paper strips.

Some recycling shops in our place buy bottles, some scrap metals, and plastics. So, what we do is save our junk so that we can sell them to these shops and earn money.

Our school have paper strippers. They also earn money from the paper strips.

It's a nice idea to have paper strippers. But how do they earn money from it?

our assignments, reports, projects, (I felt mortified after knowing that all my hardwork to finish my report come into this) and everything, on paper undergo stripping. then, the strips are collected, weighed and sold. those who bought it, convert it into pulp, undergo some processes, until it can be made into thin sheets of paper (letter, legal, whatever size). Then, it can be sold again. I think that's how it works.

Ummmm !?!

A couple of good respones (Mokele and Carol), anymore ? Remember original and perhaps unique is the key here, just saying 'I turn my pc off at night' doesn't really cut it. So any ideas you've conjured up yourself would be great.

Not my idea but in our house we put a brick in the head of toilet so less water is used each flush. Also we grow quite a lot of vegetables and herbs, vegatable peelings etc are saved to be made into compost for the garden and other food scraps are given to a family friend who uses it to feed his pigs.