is light a probability wave?

gib65

Whether I have taken a Quantum Mechanics class is not the point. The physical description of the wave is the wave function.

First, it does matter because I'm afraid you are not understanding the difference between the wave function and its probability, they describe two different things. And I know the wave function can be the physical description of the wave.

The values of the wave function are probability amplitudes, and with the wave function you get the probability distribution. How is a wave function not a probability wave?

Just to be clear then, what is your meaning of a probability wave, to make sure we aren't arguing semantics?

Now you seem to be changing the point on semantics, you originally said this though and that was what was dead wrong,

The reason it does not have a definite location is because it has a probable location in all possible paths from A to B.

And yea I did say that, because just because something can be represented by all possible states, doesn't mean it is in all possible states.

• 1 month later...
Photons have momentum. p = E/c

in principle it seems that they have momentum but it is said that photons have no mass so it doesnt seem logical that they have momentum.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
in principle it seems that they have momentum but it is said that photons have no mass so it doesnt seem logical that they have momentum.

e=mc^2 the m is not the photons mass (m-m[math]_{0}[/math])c^2=e

???

p=mv is not a relativistic equation

E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4

E=pc for massless particles

so what does m represents according to my knowledge, at equation e=mc^2 m represent the change of mass of high speed particles is it true?

No, it's not. It's a misuse of the equation I gave, since E=mc^2 only holds for particles at rest. To apply it to particles in motion is to redefine what is meant by mass.

No, it's not. It's a misuse of the equation I gave, since E=mc^2 only holds for particles at rest. To apply it to particles in motion is to redefine what is meant by mass.

ok i got it is relativistic QM i am not good at it. so can E be plugged in to schodringer equation?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

and 1 more question does uncertainty principle holds for photon? if it does,how does [math]\Delta[/math][math]_{x}[/math] be calculated.

Edited by theoriginal169
Consecutive posts merged.