Nature: Man's eternal enemy

Skye

So I decided that being overwhelmed by both geckos and beer bottles was a little too chaotic for my house. Since the bottles couldn't scurry away, they were the unlucky ones to be pitched into the night. I took them out to my bin and as I walked back I noticed something writhing about on the ground in the dark. I thought, oh maybe it is an injured lizard. But no it was a death adder, and nothing with 'death' in its name can be good for you. Adding can be tiresome, but that's not really important.

I must have stepped over it twice as I was walking out, so I was pretty damned lucky. I thought about catching and moving it away from my house, but it looked like it was going to have none of that. And since they move so slowly I know it's probably still out there somewhere, hiding and waiting for one false step.

I must have stepped over it twice as I was walking out, so I was pretty damned lucky. I thought about catching and moving it away from my house, but it looked like it was going to have none of that. And since they move so slowly I know it's probably still out there somewhere, hiding and waiting for one false step.

close call! glad you didn't step on the thing!

strange that a snake would be out at night.

I would be reluctant to take the trash out to the bin after dark unless I had a flashlight to shine on the path.

Death adder reminded me of Black Adder, so my medieval suggestion would be a set of poleyns, greaves, and sabatons. Probably find 'em used on Ebay. :D

Death adder reminded me of Black Adder, so my medieval suggestion would be a set of poleyns, greaves, and sabatons. Probably find 'em used on Ebay. :D

I guess you are talking about heavyduty footwear and legware, so thick that the snake cant bite through.

this reminds me of a story my mother told me of some relative, such as a great-uncle, who acquired some land that was full of rattlesnakes, so much so that it presented an obstacle to cultivation. According to the tale, which may be tall, he attached long strips of rawhide to his boots and walked back and forth energetically across his land, dragging the strips behind him. Whereupon a number of snakes were found with their fangs sunk into the rawhide, and disposed of. They had struck the lashing strips of hide and gotten stuck unable get their teeth out.

I guess you are talking about heavyduty footwear and legware, so thick that the snake cant bite through.

this reminds me of a story my mother told me of some relative, such as a great-uncle, who acquired some land that was full of rattlesnakes, so much so that it presented an obstacle to cultivation. According to the tale, which may be tall, he attached long strips of rawhide to his boots and walked back and forth energetically across his land, dragging the strips behind him. Whereupon a number of snakes were found with their fangs sunk into the rawhide, and disposed of. They had struck the lashing strips of hide and gotten stuck unable get their teeth out.

Whereupon your great uncle lashed the snakes together with the leather and fashioned a harness so they would be able to pull the plow through the fields. With his superior command over nature, your Great Uncle became the master of beasts, able to have the snakes do his bidding.

Like this one time, your Great uncle was taking his son on a camping trip, in which they carried no man made tools but used his fantastic powers to convince deer to commit suicide for the glory of being his meal and combust wood using only mental persuasion. At night a bunch of ranvenous, blood thristy wolves came into the night, brutes so broken and hungry that they would willingly face any danger no matter how great just to get some food. The wolves captured his son, and brought them back into their cave. Your Great Uncle, despite being bare-assed naked, trailed the wolves for three days on his hands and knees in the blinding darkness and snow. When he came upon the wolves, he ripped out their hearts with his teeth and drank their blood. Within the day, he had cleared out the entire area for his farmland.