Calculating Altitude

blike

there are such devices that are only tiny, they work on barametric pressure, it`s like 2 bowl shaped copper discs sealed at a known pressure with a hysteresis strain guage attatched. a reading is taken at ground level and recorded digitaly as the baseline, at the device gains altitude the gas sealed in the copper discs expands and changes the resistance of the strain guage, that`s then recorded, it can be used also at a predetermined altitude to make a circuit, either used to deploy a chute or take a picture etc... I`ve seen them used in High Power model rocketrey, they`re quite expensive, so maybe you could borrow one? or make one?

Just a thought :)

Why not use trig? Using anything else introduces lots of sources of error, altimeters measure the altitude above mean sea level, which varies by a few meters, and then you need to know the height of the ground above mean sea level. Not too bad if you do it by the sea I spose.

alternatively :)

Doppler Effect!, either Microwave like the speed meters the police or road cameras use, as do these electronic tape measures (ultra-sonic) IR could also be used.

all you`de need then would be little oscilator at a fixed frequency flashing a lazer or IR LED at a known frequency, and a little reciever at base. a measurement of frequency drift will tell you the speed. a Speed/Time calc should give you the distance :)

Actualy, Blike, can you tell us a bit more about what you`re trying to do here? is it a moving object or stationary like a building?

I only assumed moving as you stated "Onboard"?

any clues as to what it is please :)

the method for a rocket wouldn`t be the same as for a hot air ballon or an airoplane. either of which you could use a little Garmin GPS as I do.