Copper Sugar???

YT2095

ok, here`s an observation I wasn`t sure to put in Chem or Bio, and it really only applies to Smokers or someone that knows a smoker that`s game for an experiment :)

take an ordinady copper penny (wash it) then put it in your mouth for 15- >20 mins, swish it round whatever DONT SWALLOW IT! (you`ll have lots of explaining to do at Airport security LOL)

take it out then smoke a cigarette, each drag you take will taste sweet just like sugar! and it lasts for ages after you`ve removed the penny (over an hour each smoke will taste sweet!).

has anyone got an explaination of the mechanism behind this?

warning!!!! you DO risk swallowing the coin! and too much copper consumption can become toxic over time, use your own sensibilities and judgement, SFN claims no responsibility for any money losses, nor does it condone smoking!

but if you do, have a go, see if works the same for you :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I got to thinking about Tollens reagent (I could be thinking of the wrong one here, Tollens sprung to mind at the time of typing).

the one where copper sulphate is used to detect sugars, maybe there`s something in the cigs that has an OPPOSITE effect and MAKES sugars?

sounds crazy I know, but it`s about the best I can come up with for now (hence the post) :)

LOL, it`s quite innocent honestly :)

I was doing a few magic tricks for a mates kids, consqeuntly one of the tricks involved making a coin disappear, I hid it in my mouth, did several other tricks then made it re-appear (so to speak). I had a smoke afterwards and noticed a perculiar taste. subsequent repetitions of this produced the same results, I tried pure copper sulphate soln and that REALLY worked. so I figure it`s the copper and some other chem in the smoke. I have a plan to bubble cigarette smoke though a soln af copper sulphate, and then examine the products, maybe possible to isolate it or even crystalise it, the crystal shape alone should tell me volumes as to its composition :)

see, wasn`t that scary/disgusting afterall :)

Skye, Yes, it was only a small amount and very dillute, I tried with Copper Sulphate, chloride, carbonate and hydroxide, it all worked.

I don`t advise anyone else try this, I KNOW what I`m doing when I do these things, the concentration of soln and the amount used are critical in not making youreslf VERY sick! so don`t do it!

So it would say to me also that it is the copper ion itself that`s key to the reaction (whatever it may be).

I tried Iron salts also, no effect, nor with Cobalt, Manganese, Zinc or Nickel salts, it`s specificaly Copper only (so far), strange eh!? :)

{edit} also I was right, I did make a mistake in post #3 it was Fhelings solution I meant to say, the CuSO4 and NaOH mix in water, what made me think of Tollens reagent in the 1`st place beats me :)

LOL, If only that were true! sadly I esstimate that it`s probably already known and documented somewhere, as the odds of ME discovering something new in my more than ordinary Lab is quite unlikely :)

I like the sentiment though :)

I wonder if there`s a Nobel catagory for the most unusual/useless discoveries? LOL :)

Actualy, I need a new vacume pump, mines given up the ghost sadly, and about the best I can think of doing for now will only let me remove 2 liters at a time using gravity fed water suction, it`s just a 2 liter plastic pop bottle with a pipe at either end, fill the bottle with water then open the bottom pipe, as the water leaks out it should create suction at the top pipe? It`s about the best I can think of for now, sealing up a bustbuster nozzel would probably burn out the motor. I`m wondering now if 2 liters at a time will be enough to smoke a whole cigarette?

Oh well, it`s all good fun anyway :)

after much thought abouts Fafs comments in post #5, and other than it being completely true, I set about finding out what SOME of these 5000 odd chems were, here`s the hypothesis I formulated that would SEEM to fit (though the details chemicaly I`ve not worked out as of yet).

amongst the chems listed was the metal Lead!

and I know also that Vigigar (acetic acid) is often used in the curing proccess of tobacco. there is a chem known as Sugar of Lead (Lead Acetate) in fact it was used by the French to sweeten wine many many years ago! (yuck!).

I`m wondering now, if somehow these conbustion products combine to form sugar of lead, in the presence of Copper Ions as a result of a displacement reaction?

(although it doesn`t explain why other more reactive metals don`t have the same effect?)

anyone think that sounds about right or have any further input, please let me know :)

I have a feeling that this is more likely to be an effect on the taste buds rather than the actual creation of a sugar.

Tabacco contains natural dextrose - not much but it's there. I have a feeling that the copper is making your taste buds more receptive to the dextrose that is present.

One experiment that's quite interesting to try is to introduce sugar and banana flavouring to the mouth at the same time (this is best done using a strong solution of each with air bubbled through the solution to the mouth).

Do this for 5 minutes and you will have a very strong taste of sweet banana (pretty obvious) - now remove the banana flavour and keep tasting - you'll still be able to taste banana, not just a residue from earlier but a strong enough taste so that you think the flavour is still being fed to your mouth.

Stop for a while and try again and you'll still be able to taste banana.

So what's happening is that the brain/tastebuds are linking the taste of sugar with the taste of banana - this is more common than we think and happens with lots of flavours hence our tendency to habitually combine certain types of food and drink during meals.

It's possible that the effects of a strong copper taste to the taste buds plus the smoke is triggering a strange "taste connection" in the brain and is either falsely reporting the presence of sugar or is emphasising the sugar that is present.

This to me is more likely than a chemical reaction that is actually creating sugar in the mouth.

I'm gonna see what else I can find out about this one as it's only a hypothesis at present.

Interesting! I also saw a TV Docu about the same experiment (Kitchen Chemistry I think it was). what I find perculiar is that as soon as the smoke has gone, the taste vanishes instantly, it`s also more intense when air is taken in, as opposed to just a mouthfull of smoke, as an extension to your idea though, it could be that copper is so intensly bitter that anything else by contrast may appear as sweet? a bit like eating sweet biscuits and then taking a drink of tea or coffee after, it`s almost like there`s no sugar in it :)

your Idea has possibilities, I`m sure when I work it out, it`ll be something quite simple :)

YT2095 said in post #22 :

Interesting! I also saw a TV Docu about the same experiment (Kitchen Chemistry I think it was). what I find perculiar is that as soon as the smoke has gone, the taste vanishes instantly, it`s also more intense when air is taken in, as opposed to just a mouthfull of smoke, as an extension to your idea though, it could be that copper is so intensly bitter that anything else by contrast may appear as sweet? a bit like eating sweet biscuits and then taking a drink of tea or coffee after, it`s almost like there`s no sugar in it :)

your Idea has possibilities, I`m sure when I work it out, it`ll be something quite simple :)

well if it is an enhancing effect on the sugar, rather than a reaction that causes sugar, wouldn't the thing to do be to try testing the strength of taste of a very weak sugar solution before, and after swilling your mouth out with copper sulphate soln? I would suggest that you try to make sure that it is the same sugar as the sugar found in cigarettes, just to avoid complications.