Alkynes.

gene

I visited aommaster's website science section.

under organic chemistry, he put the word alkynes..

he had no explaination for it too..

So my question is,

What is Alkynes? Has it got any relation to do with Alkanes and Alkenes?

and espescialy so with the Nitrogen Ion, most explosives exploit the ability of Nitrogen to tripple bond, and be reasonably unstable, of course when these bonds break, single Nitrogen atoms are released along with the other molecules they bond with and *BOOM* a nice little chain reaction ensues and we`re left with a large volume of gas that once occupied the space of a solid or liquid :)

oh so they say that saturated fats are bad for our heealth because it is stable and will remain in our body right? Ah.. and unsaturated fats are good because it is unstable and will sort of "tumble" out from our body.

But, how does the decrease/increase in bonds explain for their state of stability and instability. That's what i wanna know :)

Thanks in advance.

Fats are hydrocarbon chains that either have single bonds (saturated), contain one double bond ([mono]unsaturated), or more than one double bond ([poly]-unsaturated). The [more] [double] bonds that are present, the more [unstable] the molecule, and the more likely that rancidity can occur, releasing [oxygen free radicals that may damage cells]. You got that from my previous post. Alkanes tend to be generally unreactive because the C-H and C-C single bonds are stable and hard to break, unlike the other three bonds (di, tri, quad), the instability increase as the bonds increase, this is due to the energy pushing around the orbitals, more bonds = more energy = weaker bonding = unstable. A way to try and decrease this instability would be to re-direct the orbital energy thus leading to increase bnding ability, far away from doing that at the moment.

• 4 months later...
oh so they say that saturated fats are bad for our heealth because it is stable and will remain in our body right? Ah.. and unsaturated fats are good because it is unstable and will sort of "tumble" out from our body.

But' date=' how does the decrease/increase in bonds explain for their state of stability and instability. That's what i wanna know :)

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

saturated fats are supposedly bad because that's what they find when they scrape the plaque out of a dead man's heart, but eating saturated fat hasn't been proven to lead to clogged arteries

normally natural unsaturated fats (omega 3, 6, etc) have cis double bonds

now, when natural unsaturated fats are artificially partially hydrogentated (with hydrogen, of course, heat and a catalyst), not all the double bonds are hydrogenated but the heat and catalyst can turn some of the cis bonds to trans

trans double bonds in fats are bad because they aren't as straight a chain as cis fats, because if the fats are incorporated into your cell membranes, which a lot of them are, the trans fat with the kink in it makes for a weak spot in the cell membrane