Do Condoms Prevent STDS?

shardsofnarsil

Editors of Wikipedia report that in general people who use condoms are 70% or 80% less likely to receive a given STD. I would like to know if any members of this scientific community can give me a better idea of the percentages involved with and without condom use in regard to STDs in order to work on a hypothesis of mine.

My ultimate question is, what is the likelihood, probability, or chance for an average sexually active male, using a condom, to receive an STD from intercouse with another sexually average woman (or vice versa).

Thank you for your time,

shardsofnarsil

There's still a chance for several reasons. People tend to misuse condoms, there's a percentage that break during use, and I suppose really small viruses could travel through the latex (not sure about that). As for percentages, I have no idea.

Thanks. Are we agreed then that even "proper" condom use does not guarantee the prevention of STDs? It then becomes a measure of risk.

Is it comparable to the chance every time you drive that you will get in a car accident, freqent enough and yet also individually rare enough that the risk is not worth avoiding vehicles?

Or is it more like the chance every time you get online that you will get a virus, probably happens to every computer after awhile and yet hopefully not serious enough to cause any actual damage?

In other words, is it for the most part avoidable no matter how many times you have sex, or, if you regularly have sex with more than one partner are you bound to get one sooner or later?

Thanks again,

General Veritas

It's all probability, dude. What are you looking for? Statistics?

Not necessarily statistics, just a general idea about what end of the spectrum the probabilities lie.

A guaranteed way to avoid STDs is (please correct me if this is wrong) for two virgins to only have sex with each other. My ignorant but interesting hypothesis is whether or not the ancient biblical model of sex within marriage is actually the safest and healthiest way to live.

That's where the probablities become important. You are statistically more likely to be in a car accident if you regularly travel in cars than if you never leave your house. So what? It's not a big enough risk to stop people from driving.

Similarly, you are statistically more likely to get an STD if you are sexually active than if you only have sex with one partner for your entire life, but is that significant enough to matter to the average person any more than car crashes?

I think you need to specify which STDs. Some, the big nasty ones like HIV, gonorhea, herpes, etc, need sexual contact, and a condom will work. Others, like HPV and crabs, can be spread by simple non-penetrative contact. Obviously the former will be much more impeded by a condom than the latter.

Also, look into oral versus anal and vaginal sex. Sadly, a lot of people who use a condom during the latter two don't for the former, and you *can* get STDs via oral sex.

Mokele

Keep in mind that the statistics you're reading have to include all condom users surveyed. As ecoli points out, many people misuse them and those numbers are present in the sampling. Also present are people who'd been drinking heavily and *thought* they used a condom. These numbers probably also include people who make love, remove the condom and then cuddle a bit afterwards, or even make love again but forget the condom the second time.

If you want better than 70-80% then learn the proper use of condoms. If you've been drinking take some extra time and make absolutely sure.

A guaranteed way to avoid STDs is (please correct me if this is wrong) for two virgins to only have sex with each other. My ignorant but interesting hypothesis is whether or not the ancient biblical model of sex within marriage is actually the safest and healthiest way to live.
Virgins can still have herpes, which I believe is included in the list of STDs any statistics will encompass. Monogamous relationships probably are the safest with regard to health, especially if your gf is the jealous type. :D