Project Universe: Build your own scale universe

TriggerGrinn

I have been working with some experiments recently and in the process I found that one experiment is actually ALOT of fun! That is if you enjoy creating your own universe! With working gravity and functioning galaxies.

How to build your own function scale universe.

Supplies:

*1 glass cassarole dish or other type of large flat see-through container (to hold water and cooking oil).

*Water

*Cooking Oil - the thicker the better, the clearer the better.

*An eye dropper or equivelint device.

Directions to construction:

Place your Glass container on your work station.

Proceed to fill the container with cooking oil 1/2 full. (be careful not to shake the cooking oil or disturb it throughout the construction of the mini universe. As it will add to alot of waiting time and uncessary comets! and meteors )

Then Gently fill the Glass container with Cold water.

Let everything settle long enough untill there are virtually NO bubbles in the water or oil.

Place in the refrigerator to COOL all the fluids as much as you can. (this allows everything to live longer)

When you are ready to construct a universe remove the dish from the fridge carefully.

Get you eye dropper.

Drop small drops of water in your place of choice of the space. Lets call these little chunks of rocks or planets if you will. Scatter them around. if they do not sink try dropping the water dropplets pre-submerged in the oil.

The water dropplets will sink down in between the Oil layer and the water layer.

The interesting thing is that the dropplets are attracted to eachother, be it electrostatic forces, or gravity itself, that I really dont know. However it acts over very large distances like gravity!

So after you have placed some 100 or so dropplets all around the tray let it sit and watch the universe transform before your very EYES!!! galaxies will form at the center of some galaxies large objects will join into large stars with much more powerful sources of 'gravity' Then galaxies will begin to collide and obliverate eachother.

Once you get used to this you can mess around with it in anyway you want!!

One thing I have done is used a siringe and placed it right near the meeting point of the water and the oil. With proper ejection you can create a massive dropplet. A supermassive black hole! that will gobble up your universe.

Please enjoy, and use food coloring if you like to add different colored planets.

Notice that overtime many water dropplets will disintigrate back into the main water body source. But I find the colder you keep the liquids the longer everything will play out.

neat,

the attraction is bouyancy. the water droplets deform the oil-water boundary and create a pit where the others fall into. it works much the same way as bowling balls on streched rubber but the fluids have nil standing friction and the boundary is far more uniform, any deformation is evident over the entirity of the fluid.

i'm guessing the whole thing moves very slowly, a denser oil will slow it further (less vertical displacement for the same mass droplets means the gradients are shallower) you can do this sort of thing with a water-air boundary, i think it's detergent in the main body that makes it work (dont use oil) but the events are much faster. (less viscosity in the top fluid layer)

neat,

the attraction is bouyancy. the water droplets deform the oil-water boundary and create a pit where the others fall into. it works much the same way as bowling balls on streched rubber but the fluids have nil standing friction and the boundary is far more uniform,

The layer between the oil and the water is flat. Perfectly flat. Whether near the edge or near the center the dropplets remain in static posistion alone. There is no 'pit', nothing like bowling balls on a trampoline.

If you add another dropplet they 'want to be together'.

I assume these dropplets are of a unique pressure compared to the surrouning layers. More or less, not sure.

It was from this experiment that I considered gravity could be directly related to pressure within an aether, Pressure = gravity source. Mass alone does not generate much gravity. Density alone doesnt generate much gravity, mass and density together make pressure, make gravity.

Simple basics, but its a possibility.

Anyhow, go ahead and try it.

the boundary is not flat. the dip is no where near visible but it is there.

the droplet is of density greater than the oil so there will a net downward force if the boundary is flat. this downward force pushes the boundary down so

the displacement of the boundary = the volume of the droplet

the displacement is spread over the whole dish but is steepest close to the droplet. the density of the droplet or main body is not much greater than the density of the oil so the gradients are relatively flat.

if you've ever made a paper clip float on water you'd know that the boundary effect "surface tension" draws the water down to displace enough water to match the mass of the paper clip. the same thing happens here. except the boundary is between water and oil so the gradients are far flatter.

try to catch the light off the boundary, you'll see a slight irregularity in the reflections near a droplet.

the droplets aren't of different density to the main body, it's the boundary effect due to the cohesion of the oil that holds the droplet as is.

I don't know how responsible a god I'd make. What if one of my planets starts breeding life? Could happen - little microbes living in the water bubbles. Would I be responsible for preventing war and famine and suffering? :P

the boundary is not flat. the dip is no where near visible but it is there.

the droplet is of density greater than the oil so there will a net downward force if the boundary is flat. this downward force pushes the boundary down so

the displacement of the boundary = the volume of the droplet

the displacement is spread over the whole dish but is steepest close to the droplet. the density of the droplet or main body is not much greater than the density of the oil so the gradients are relatively flat.

if you've ever made a paper clip float on water you'd know that the boundary effect "surface tension" draws the water down to displace enough water to match the mass of the paper clip. the same thing happens here. except the boundary is between water and oil so the gradients are far flatter.

try to catch the light off the boundary, you'll see a slight irregularity in the reflections near a droplet.

the droplets aren't of different density to the main body, it's the boundary effect due to the cohesion of the oil that holds the droplet as is.

I see what you mean now. I wasnt following you the first time. Props to that explaination. I agree completely from the observations. However There is other forces at work, however small.

I built this in a small jar at first. The attraction effects were much greater. I built a larger one after this post, it doesnt appear there is the same attraction of the same distance, when the overal size of the plane is larger. So anyway, you wont be seeing any intesnse gravity effects in a large system.

I don't know how responsible a god I'd make. What if one of my planets starts breeding life? Could happen - little microbes living in the water bubbles. Would I be responsible for preventing war and famine and suffering?

HAHAHA yah kids can really enjoy this. Especially if there was liquids to use that would last nearly permanently. One could add different types of bacteria to each type of dropplet and have some full on galactic warfare. See which form of virus and bacteria's out last the rest, considering they should be locked into their bubble, surrounded by the oily film, once a few planets collide, they can at times JOIN, thus different life forms will for the first time meet there alien counterparts, and seeing how they get along would be pretty entertaining. Heck add some sea monkeys.

HAHAHA yah kids can really enjoy this. Especially if there was liquids to use that would last nearly permanently. One could add different types of bacteria to each type of dropplet and have some full on galactic warfare. See which form of virus and bacteria's out last the rest, considering they should be locked into their bubble, surrounded by the oily film, once a few planets collide, they can at times JOIN, thus different life forms will for the first time meet there alien counterparts, and seeing how they get along would be pretty entertaining. Heck add some sea monkeys.

Wow... I was just kidding, but this could actually have some serious experimental potential... interesting * strokes non-existent beard *