Fun With Science #2

TreborS

Like I mentioned in the 1st FUN WITH SCIENCE, we can have a lot of fun with most of the fields of science as long as we don’t get carried away and take it too seriously. Most people do take it too seriously. When I start one of these, I don’t know if the fun we will have is funny HaHa or funny peculiar. Does it really matter?

In many of the sciences, most of the advances are theoretical. Of course, if it’s your theory that gets made fun of, you could get a little bent out of shape. This time, let’s have a little fun with mathematics. It’s about time I get back at math because, it had it’s fun with me in my younger days. I was pretty good at it then but now, anything beyond my ten fingers and a calculator is beyond me.

Scientists and not only mathematicians have been having fun with math. They have all attempted to define all the results of their thinking and their work into representative formulae. That is fine and is as it should be. But, sometimes things get out of hand.

Most of us regard certain people almost like Gods. We believe almost everything they say and do. I was the same. One day, I realized that mathematicians like Einstein are not Gods and that some of the things they say are colored by the type of people they are. Scientists and mathematicians think in formulae and numbers. They look at the universe and develop formulas that define certain aspects of it like gravity. Formulas are nice things but, they are only tools. You can take certain particulars at a certain time and crank them in a formula and voila––an answer. Formulas such as ‘‘field formulas’’ take all possibilities in consideration. That’s why you can crank any set of factors in them for a particular time and place and get a comprehensive answer for that set of factors

Some mathematicians have gone a little further. They have inverted the formulas that they

developed and have turned them around and used them to re-engineer the universe. A mathematical construct like a gravitational field formula suddenly became a space-time gravitational warp. We can’t take a mathematical construct that contains all possible states of time and space and apply it to a universe where only the present is happening. The past is gone and the future is not here yet and so, the gravitational field cannot define the present.

The universe and it’s components do their own things. They react and interact to the natural formulae that were composed by the original engineer and Creator before time & space began. Man’s formulae are only tools that try to approximate the original ones. When they are used as the tools that they are, there are no problems, real or imaginary.

Did we end up with a funny Haha or a funny peculiar this time?..........TreborS

You know, you really haven't said anything at all here, especially in mathematics. You've simply complained that people are saying that what they see in the math really is the universe. In that, you're once again wrong. They say that what they see in the math models the universe. There is a large difference, and you would do well to figure out what it is.

=Uncool-