On concentration notation M/500?

Bignose

I am reading a fairly old paper today (1930), and they used a notation for concentration that I am unfamiliar with and can't seem to find info in Google about it. Here is the quote from the paper:

"The concentrations of caffeine (Merck U.S.P.) were M/500, M/750, M/1000."

Can someone tell me what M/500 means? Moles? Parts per million?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a problem with conversion now that I know what it is, I am just saying it is a pretty awkward notational system (which is probably why I have never seen it before).

Consider, you want to mix two solutions together x parts M/5 and y parts M/10. x/5 + y/10 = 2x/10 + y/10 = (2x+y)/10.

That was an easy one. What if it was 3 part solutions? M/7, M/13, and M/17. You have to mulitply all those fractions out, or bascially convert it to decimal notation anyway.

And what do you do if the fraction cannot be converted into 1 over an integer? M/6.84 is really just using an awkward notation for notation's sake.

That's why I said give me moles per liter (I should have explicitly said in decimals) or ppm anyday, since you don't have to fool around with these wierd fraction and stuff.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Mathematically 0.001 is the same as 1/1000,

so 0.001 M is the same as 1/1000 M

Since multiplication gives the same answer whichever way round you do it 1/1000 M is the same as M X 1/1000.

Multiplication by 1 does nothing so you can leave it out and get M/1000