Build a Time Machine

kenel

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting, but there are still thngs we don't know about time. if we go back would it make a paradox or is our situation the result of time travel? does time travel make new "realities"? we just don't know. some people even say time doesn't exist. there are plenty of threads here to tell you that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MojoJojo

I understand that time gets twisted in strange ways in the vicinity of a large, quickly spinning object such as a pulsar. It may be possible to travel backwards in time near such an object. Of course, getting there and back is a problem, as well as withstanding the terrific forces you would be subject to once you got there.

If time created other universes, that would mean we have to bend in the fourth dimension to go there, which is against the definition of 3D space. a lower dimensional space cannot be a higher one and vice versa, if it were to exist, given the definition that we are to exist if we go through the time portal thing, not for the sake of surviving but for the sake of givens given.

Or time just leads back to a point in the past of the same Space, just different time. In this case Hawkings proposes two or rather three solutions, but the third one is the free will of God.

You either go back and encounter the grandfather paradox, or you go back and have your free will stripped down, or you just follow what has already happened (a rewind of events as in a tape recorder if you prefer) This is probably the only case that time travel is allowed to, travel, but unfortunately for sci-fi fans like me, you create energy and matter if you go back in time, since the space time would be different.

This totally kills time travel for the past. I'm sure everyone knows that there's time travel in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Scientific American has an interesting article from their September 2002 issue on how building a time machine could be made possible.

I myself have Doc Brown on my side' date=' and Marty McFly at the wheel. Wouldn't it be interesting though if we really could go [u']Back to the Future[/u]?

Yes, that would be really neat if we could do it. I would like to go back to Dealy plaza at Dallas Tx, about 11/22/1963 to see what really happened there, but before I left I think I should sharpen up my pencil and do some very careful arithimetic. I would like to go, say, to the grassy knoll. Not too picky about the time, arrival almost any time in the morning of that day, but would need to be real carefull about position.

You see, the earth is spinning on its axis, once/24 hrs, and the earth revolves around the sun once/365.25 days. and the sun is revolving around the milky way galaxy and the galaxy is moving at a rapid clip towards goodness knows where.

I want to arrive at the grassy knoll, not 200 feet up in the air, (watch that first step, its a doozy) or maybe 20 feet under ground, so I have to calculate all this and get it exactly right. Also, I want to arrive at the grassy knoll moving with the same relative velocity as the ground and not slam into a building at 40,000 mph. (That would sort of take the charm out of the game)

Now when you get all these details sorted out, sign me up.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sporogenic

How about just going back to the little tidepool life started in 3 billion years ago and taking a huge dump in it? You think that would change things at all?

How about just going back to the little tidepool life started in 3 billion years ago and taking a huge dump in it? You think that would change things at all?

LOL!!

Personally I think the question should be "Should we even want to go back in time??"

AFAIK The only way we can actually find out if it's safe to go back in time and alter things is to actually do it. And when you think that just standing on a twig and breaking it could not only cause you to cease to exist but everyone you know, it's a bit of a gamble.

Even just materalising in the past will have catastrophic effects on the original timeline. All those molecules you're going to displace are going to cause more of a breeze than a butterfly flapping its wings, just think of the storm you'll kick up on the other side of the planet. ;)

And how would those molecules be moved out of the way to make room??

And most people seem to miss the point that we don't know if our future selves already have gone to our current past to change things.

We could be living in a time line where they messed something up and Hitler and his gang of merry men went rampaging throughout the world on a killing spree.

If they/we did mess things up like that we have to wait until we discover time travel again and go back to fix it. Because when they messed things up they wiped themselves out and couldn't go back to the future or send someone else back. If the two world wars hadn't happened the world and the people alive in it would be very different today and even more different tomorrow.

And if we do go back and fix that mess we might wipe ourselves out, we'd save most of the people from suffering in concentration camps in the past, which would be nice but at what price?? :confused:

I'd rather no one went back in time, if any of you do and you wipe me from existence I'll be pretty damned cross with you!!

I don't believe in parallel universes BTW. ;)

Well, of course it wouldn't change things. Didn't you realise that's how it all started anyway?icon7.gif

• 4 months later...
Yes, that would be really neat if we could do it. I would like to go back to Dealy plaza at Dallas Tx, about 11/22/1963 Now when you get all these details sorted out, sign me up.

You could get a really hot girl to move into the house next door to Bill Gates as a teenager,

and get him into salsa dancing contests let him win a few competitions …he becomes a professional……looses interest in gadgets….

which is against the definition of 3D space

Maybe the definition is wrong or incomplete.

Or perhaps it is possible to "expand" a 3 dimensional object into 4 dimensions for a short period of time? Sort of like taking a two dimensional object and rolling it up, it would have an artificial third dimension. (I'm not advocating the idea, just letting my mind wander.)

There is also another possibility that renders the whole "Grandfather Paradox" irrelevent. What if "life" only exists in the "now"? If that were true, then going back in time would result in arriving in a "dead" world. Go to the plaza, the roads and buildings would be there, but nothing else. No trees, grass or people. Just a thought.

you guys are kidding right.

you know that time and reality are expressions of the same effect.

I mean there would be nothing without time...it's not like a freez frame on some film or something.

ps why do things in films slow down to show they are happening really fast?

no problem.

ok stoppong time now.

Well, did you notice it?

no.

case proven. :D

Actually that does bring up an interesting point.

Is time continuous or is it packeted as with most other energy expressions.?

And if it is packeted are the packets linear.

Or even constant.

And what goes on in between the packets.

Hey there goes another time stop.

Did you notice it.

No.

Would you be more observant please.

It’s a bugger to figure out these questions when you are stuck in an affected frame of reference

• 2 weeks later...
Is time continuous or is it packeted as with most other energy expressions.?

And if it is packeted are the packets linear.

Or even constant.

And what goes on in between the packets.

What goes on in between the packets????

My brain hurts even thinking about it! :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest L_and_P21

we do have a time machine now. all we really need is our feet or any other mode of transpertation. just walk into the next time zone.

also why does everyone talk about traveling back in time? i know it would be great and all but i would much rather travel forward through time. that way i can start over with new people and see where technology has taken us.