Why does cheese taste better melted?

ParanoiA

no, it`s the aromatics being released, the majority of flavour is actualy related to Smell and NOT the tongue :)
Really? *interested*

So if I put a peg over my nose and stopped breathing for a little bit would melted cheese not taste as nice? :confused:

I wouldn't have said melted cheese does taste better. I prefer it, I like the softer texture and find that the flavour does change, and I prefer the melted flavour. However I also would have thought some people prefer it straight from the fridge. I would have put it down to a matter of personal taste/opinion...

but again, that totaly depends upon the cheese.

some will benefit from heating, others not so much if at all :)

5614, yes really :)

plug your nose 100% and then go through you herb and spice rack tasting each, even try fruit juices, if you were blindfolded at the time you would hardly know one from the other at all :)

So if I put a peg over my nose and stopped breathing for a little bit would melted cheese not taste as nice? :confused:

why not do it, and tell us :D

has anyone melted cheese, let it cool down, and then et it? does it taste better, or the same, as unmelted cheese? there could be some kind of chemicl reaction happens during the heating? sugars breaking down, or summat?

no, it`s the aromatics being released, the majority of flavour is actualy related to Smell and NOT the tongue :)

Thanks, I had no idea.

depends on which taste you prefer, i like it unmelted better.

I wonder if there's a study on how many people prefer melted over non-melted.

I'm sure we'll find that people who prefer melted cheese have much higher IQ's...

has anyone melted cheese, let it cool down, and then et it? does it taste better, or the same, as unmelted cheese? there could be some kind of chemicl reaction happens during the heating? sugars breaking down, or summat?

I have done that with tortilla chips and shredded marble jack/cheddar. Let it cool down a bit where it's almost the same as it was before I heated it up...and it lost all of it's melted flavor. I'm inclined to believe YT on this one for sure.

Maybe I will try the non-breathing thing sometime soon, not now, just had dinner! Maybe tomorrow.

Occasionally, by accident, I have let melted cheese unmelt (is that a word?!) and it does not taste good. Although my reasoning may not be universal. Normally I only leave melted cheese if it's too hot to eat, the only time it's too hot to eat is when I've melted it for so long that you have different liquids forming from the cheese. The cheese melts and seperates to its component liquids. As it 'unmelts' these liquids do not come back together, so the cheese doesn't taste the same.

If however you melted cheese, but only so it was soft, not completely melted into its component liquids, then when it 'unmelts' you could get a normal tasting cheese. Maybe I'll try that as well!

Finally, when I say it does not taste good, what I mean, scientifically, is that it doesn't taste like that cheese before it was melted. Its taste has changed, it is personal opinion as to whether it is nice or not.