High body temperature (Fever)

mooeypoo

Hi,

In my day-to-day work I'm a security guard in trips (mostly children and highschool kids) and as such one of my responsabilities is being a Medic (not full, more for CPR and emergency help).

Recently, I've encountered many cases of kids having fever, while their pulse was sky-high (though blood pressure was fine).

I was wondering about the reasons the body is having a fever. Is it like a headache - more of a WARNING sign? or is it caused by the reactions in the body?

If this is a stupid question, I'm sorry. Tell me, and I'll be ashamed of myself. :rolleyes:

btw, another related question - why does the pulse get so high when a child is having a fever? If there's an infection somewhere, shouldn't the body NOT want to spread it? The blood is known to spread infections..

~mooeypoo

Guest con1977

A fever and the racing pulse are inflammatory responses to an attack upon the body. The body raises its temperature because most bacteria and other pathogens like a temperature for proliferation around that of the body, so the body jacks it up several degrees so it curbs division and or kills some of them off. The pulse racing is so it can keep it from getting worse. You are right, if the pulse is going faster, it is possible that the infection or pathogen will be spread more, however a faster pulse also means that lymphocytes and other defense cells can arrive at the site of the problem faster to kill off whatever is there. So in short, it is a sign of a problem or rather a sign of the body dealing with the problem.

Ahh. So if I want to treat it URGENTLY (ie: in middle of the field trip until someone more qualified comes, like a doctor that is allowed to give medications) am I supposed to make the person with fever DROP the fever? I mean, I know that people take aspirin a lot (I personally hate that, it kills the sympton, not the problem) but according to what you're saying it's even WORSE - not only does it not help - it can even get worse, since its lowering the body temp and decreasing pulse WITHOUT treating the problem thus making the body not fight it.. ?

What is the best thing to do with such a patient if I am in the middle of no where and waiting for an eviction to hospital or doctor? try to drop the temp with moist pads on the forehead or just do nothing (other than the obvious - giving the patient water, making sure he rests and so on).

I'm talking about the URGENT rsponse btw. Obviously someone with a fever needs to see a doctor.

~mooey

Guest con1977

A wet cloth, preferably cold, but obviously in a pinch any temp will have to do. The high specific heat of the water will absorb a lot of heat and lower the temp. It works on the same principle as perspiring during summer.

anti-pyritic medicine will also assist in lowering the temp and ultimately the tachcardia, Aspirin, although simple is such a medicne, it`s also important to maintain electrolyte levels, plenty fresh water with a little sugar and a mg of salt will help :)

then seek propper medical attantion!

• 8 months later...
I wouldn't say that. Never being sick does not make you have a fever.

It may be that you simply have a defective whatever-gland-that-controls-your-temperature.

Also where you take your temperature (under the arm' date=' in the ear, mouth) makes a difference as well.[/quote']

Body temperature varies during the course of the day, and from person to person. So one person having a higher than average temperature isn't necessarily a sign of anything defective.

• 2 weeks later...

The way that number was originally derived was that it was that the tempertures of many people were taken and the numbers were averaged. You can find out the normal range of your temperature by taking it on several occasions when you feel fine and haven't recently consumed anything hot or cold.

One of the old remedies was to "break a fever", put the patient to bed and pile on the covers. It doesn't feel uncomfortable because one is usually having "chills" (another question - why do you feel cold when you are hot?)

Anyway - you have to be careful, you don't want the fever to go dangerously high, but if it "breaks" you will start to sweat profusely. If it's a run-of-the-mill virus or flu, it very well may not come back. I guess it works because raising the body temperature kills more pathogens faster.

The way that number was originally derived was that it was that the tempertures of many people were taken and the numbers were averaged.

It was also done in degrees C, which gives an answer of 37. Then a sloppy conversion to F was done, incorporating an extra significant digit, which gives the illusion that anything other than 98.6 F is abnormal.