Young's Double Slit

Without time you cannot have movement as movement is change in spartial coordinates with respect to time. The postulates of special relativity apply only to inertial reference frames, which as I have said before does not apply to photons as they have no mass.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without time you cannot have movement as movement is change in spartial coordinates with respect to time. The postulates of special relativity apply only to inertial reference frames, which as I have said before does not apply to photons as they have no mass.
I know what you are saying about sr and photons no mass etc. What I am saying is that we experience time but the photon does not. This is a bad analergy because suggests that photons are sentient and its not time in the same sense, but if you were frozen and moved then defrosted you feel as if you had moved without time. Every thing works in sr untill you hit 0 time for something and it does seem to hold for constant c viewed from any frame there is no time for a photon.

I don't undertand how this could be so. Mass = Energy, I thought. Athough photons have no mass they do have/are energy. And sub-atomic particles are observed via the effects of SR everyday in particle accelerators. Are you saying that SR effects are observable on particles no matter how close they are to having zero mass, but once that zero is reached BAM! they follow a whole new set of rules? If this is known to be true, then so must the 'new set of rules' be known. What are they? How much time does a photon experience on a journey of, say, one hundred light years if not zero? One hundred years?

Now physicists added electron detectors in each slit to determine which slit each electron travelled through. They ran the experiment again and recorded the results. Suprisingly' date=' this time there was no interference pattern, only two stripes left on the photosheet!! Physicists thought perhaps the electron detectors altered the experiment or motion of the electrons. So they ran various combinations of the experiment to determine the problem....

source: "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Am I the only one who finds this extremely wierd?[/quote']

I, unfortunately, also do not have this book, but all my searches for quantum erasure via the double slit experiment obtain results from experiments using photon 'entanglement.' Even the link you gave as an example deals with 'entanglement.' But your description of the experiment in this book by Brian Greene SEEMS to imply quantum erasure via some other form of 'electron detectors'. Am I right, or does Brian Greene also describe an experiment that utilizes 'entanglement'?

I am curious if this quantum erasure has been observed without this specific method of detecting which electron went through which slit.

By the way, I think every High School student should be exposed to a live demonstration of this effect. It is EXACTLY the kind of thing that would jostle an interest in science.

Mass and Energy can be viewed as equivilant not equal. That and one cannot selectively apply lorentz transforms (ie time and not space or vice versa). The theory of SR applies only to inertial reference frames, as in those that contain mass.

Mass and Energy can be viewed as equivilant not equal. That and one cannot selectively apply lorentz transforms (ie time and not space or vice versa). The theory of SR applies only to inertial[/i'] reference frames, as in those that contain mass.

Yes but still we must with the knowledge at hand try to understand the "traveling at c point" effects! Don't u think? Altough it messes bad with my mind (as u might see from my few responses).

I shall scan an experiment showing one of these "Ghost" effects experiments later and hand it upp here! Give me a moment...