Dogs should not eat plants... right?

Sayonara

My dog eats grass. Its a bit ironic, since shes rather fat and black and white...

but I think they just eat plants, then spit them up. Or it just comes out the same way it came in.

I dont think its detrimental as long as the plants aren't poisonous lol

as long as it doesn't eat anything toxic to it, it's fine and normal. Wild canids do eat more plant matter than people suspect, for a range of nutrients you just can't get from meat, including eating the stuff in their prey's gut.

As for the grass-eating, i tend to lean towards the explanation that it's to settle or purge the stomach for whatever reason.

My dog eats all kinds of crap... I would not be surprised if she had a stomach ache :P

we had her in the vet awhile ago because she ate a bunch of margarine that she got out of the trash

She's not terribly bright :)

:rolleyes: sometimes I forget how deeply inbred dogs have been since their wolfish origins.

My housemate's dog (Bassett Hound) keeps eating plants in the garden.

Plants!

I am assuming this is due to some kind of dietary deficiency at the moment... anyone had any experience with this?

When my dog has an upset stomach or other digestive problem, her tail will be pulled in close to her body. When I see that, I know she doesn't feel well and when I let her out and she will immediately start chewing grass. She doesn't do that at any other time so I've learned the clues. I also give her a Tums and that helps too.

If its a severe stomach problem she will eat enough to throw up and then feels better otherwise she will eat just enough and then feels ok...

However, some dogs just like to eat plants and grass so you have to check the dogs habits.

If it is indeed her stomach, check her dog food or try another brand. That failing, you can call a vet.

Bee

My dog will eat all sorts of plants. He used to to eat whole sticks, too, and it never seemed to bother him. Additionally, its been my experience that most dogs LOVE fruit of various kinds, particularly stuff like apples and pears. They're certainly not strict carnivores.

Definately not. The meals I have to prepare for foxes where I work are more fruit and veggies than they are mouse and meat. In the wild canids can survive as vegivores if need be and stay in good shape as long as they don't get too overworked for long stretches. You'll see certain brands of dog-food that are strictly vegetarian, or often regular brands that have barely any meat, and the pups do just fine on them.

I have three dogs, all of whom eat and regurgitate plant material from time to time. They're fed on a mixed diet of one third fruit and vegetables to approximately two thirds meat by mass, plus some essential dietary supplements like iodine salt and bone meal. I often flavour it by adding my own leftovers from the previous evening. I've seen one of them eat everything from home baking to slices of cucumber and banana!

This sort of diet can be very flexible and useful as you can finely control a dogs weight. During periods of relative lack of activity I often increase the fruit and vegetable fraction to bulk the meal up, which satisfies them quite well without filling them full of calories they don't need and piling on the fat as a result.

I was thinking of logging incidences of "grazing" and whether or not the plant matter was regurgitated, and correlating these with the worming schedule to see if intestinal parasites might be a factor. I thought that this behaviour might be a good indicator for parasites if the two are related.