Hydrogen car for $80

Bettina

Not sure if I should make a new thread about this or what so here goes...

Is Hydrogen really a viable option? It's more explosive than gas isn't it?

Sure, it'd be great...but can it ever be made viable?

The main challenges in using hydrogen in cars are the very high costs and the low energy efficiencies; so far, there is not much likelihood of overcoming these challenges. Consequently, only a few demonstration vehicles have been made at high cost. See The Hype about Hydrogen and hydrogen economy.

this is where us chemical engineers come in, finding a way to produce massive amounts of hydrogen(or metal hydrides or whatever storage method they'll use) as easily and inexpensively as possible. it'll probably end up as electrolysis of water but have to wait on fusion power to be effective.

Hydrogen isn't the only fuel that could be used in fuel cells, I've also read about methanol fuel cells. A methanol fuel cell works like a hydrogen fuel, but carbon dioxide is also produced. However methanol is a lot safer to transport than hydrogen, since it is a liquid at room temperature, so for cars it would probably be a better choice at the moment, in my opinion.

Hydrogen isn't the only fuel that could be used in fuel cells, I've also read about methanol fuel cells. A methanol fuel cell works like a hydrogen fuel, but carbon dioxide is also produced. However methanol is a lot safer to transport than hydrogen, since it is a liquid at room temperature, so for cars it would probably be a better choice at the moment, in my opinion.

Yeah, like hydrogen can ignite from an electrical storm several miles away and corodes metal?! :eek:

essentially you just run water over a nuclear reactor and use the heat to break the chemical bonds.

I think water breaks down at 2000 degrees or so but I'm not sure.

Ohhhh :D I just need a desktop nuclear reactor then :D