Cooling Tips?

JTM³

Hi all:

I was wondering if any of you guys knew something about heat transfer and stuff...:P

I've always tried to use summers to work on stuff that I'm interested in...computer stuff; level desgining, 3d ing, etc...

But, I haven't been able to work on anything really because my room is sooo freaking hot!!!!

Notice the giant window....

P1000263.jpg

I'm thinking the problem is that I get the heat from the morning sun.

We're planning on getting an awning to cover the window, but I'm wondering if that will do anything; will that be enough, or are there other things I can do to cool down my room?

I guess the developers really didn't care about that......:rolleyes:

EDIT: I'm also very drowsy in the morning. Could that have anything to do with heat or is that something else entirely?

keep the blinds closed in the mornings so it reflects most of the light away, you can open them once the sun is out of sight. you could put tinfoil over the window to increase the effect but you migh look like a looney. but then there is the pc. it makes things hot.

exactly the same prob here in the Lab, with the added disadvantage that it`s not only a Skywalk, but also South facing! :(

and yes the drowsiness in the morning (and during the day) is more than likely heat related, either that or we both have caught the same thing!

I have a ceiling fan AND a desk fan, does it make a difference? NOPE!

keep the blinds closed in the morning, then when the sun passes open the blinds fully And the windows, but also open coresponding window on the other side of the house and keep the doors (internal) open. a blow through helps a little.

either that or buy a larger freezer and shack up next to the Frozen peas! (I`ve been sorely tempted!).

Is air conditioning out of the question?

We have air conditioning, but it doesn't help much...we're hoping the awning will make it easier for the air conditoner to cool my room down. :(

YT2095: Yes, I do keep the blinds closed. But that doesn't do much...:(

It's currently 85 F. (It's 90 F outside :eek:)

Hmmm, I think the perfect room temperature would be around 65-70 :D

Are those portable air conditioners any good?

another thing that can help is to open the door/hatch to your attic (Heat rises), my friend does this and he recons it helps quite a bit, also a shallow bowl of water in front of a fan he says helps, I can`t do this in a Lab for obvious reasons, I have used Ice packs though and that works a Little, but they don`t last long before they need re-freezing again, typicaly 30 to 45 mins.

I was going to suggest putting one of those portable air conditioners in that window right in front of you. You could get a nice breeze blowing right on you when it gets warm in there. Plus, that should cut down a little on the sunlight getting into the room. I don't know how much they cost though. Maybe as a last resort. Or just get a big block of ice to sit on as YT suggested.

I was going to suggest putting one of those portable air conditioners in that window right in front of you. You could get a nice breeze blowing right on you when it gets warm in there. Plus, that should cut down a little on the sunlight getting into the room. I don't know how much they cost though. Maybe as a last resort.[b'] Or just get a big block of ice to sit on as YT suggested.[/b]

LOL!!

Thanks for the tip (the AC :D), that PLUS an awning should do the trick, if the awning doesn't do it :)

If the blinds are doing nothing to stop the heat getting in then you could always put silver foil on the window-side of them to reflect the heat.

And taking a cold shower can actually make you cold (even in this heat!), but it doesn't last for long. But when you come back from a day of work and an hour in a hot car it's definately worth going straight into the shower when you get home! If you have cold water running on you for long enough, I've come out shivering sometimes!

Also lights generate a lot of heat. This is a big thing for me because I have small-ish room with 4 bulbs. I can either have them all on or all off. Recently I've been working on the comp in pitch black because I know when I turn them on they generate a lot of heat.

I usually take advantage of the heat as a time to wear cute miniskirts and dresses that I cant wear any other time of the year. Also, my car gets very hot sometimes, so I bought a cooler full of dry ice and put some under the driver seat and it cooled down the whole car :)

I usually take advantage of the heat as a time to wear cute miniskirts and dresses that I cant wear any other time of the year. Also, my car gets very hot sometimes, so I bought a cooler full of dry ice and put some under the driver seat and it cooled down the whole car :)

Lucky for me I'm not a female and can devote my time to constructive endevors :D

Why dont you just walk around your room naked?

I dont know which is worse to imagine. You naked or In My Memory wearing a skirt.

As long as you dont go out like that I think everybody would be fine.

So we've got JTM walking around his house naked, with a block of ice to sit on in front of his windows which are covered with tin foil.

Meanwhile IMM is wandering around her town causing traffic accidents.

Just another normal day at SFN.:)

I usually take advantage of the heat as a time to wear cute miniskirts
I dont know which is worse to imagine. You naked or In My Memory wearing a skirt.
Hmm' date=' you never know, IMM could look quite hot dressed like that! ;)

[i'](And that's not referring to the weather!)[/i]

So we've got JTM walking around his house ' date=' with a block of ice to sit on in front of his windows which are covered with tin foil.

Meanwhile IMM is wandering around her town causing traffic s.

Just another normal day at SFN.:)[/quote']

ROFL!!!!!! :P