A perfectly contained explosion!

YT2095

one may employ an electrical type with the conductor in a ceramic sheath, or even a small timer inside the primary itself. that`s really an arbitrary issue to the calcs involved, but non the less a valid point from a practical sense :)

I`de go with the single conductor in the ceramic sheath embeded(fused) to the steel, and use the steel case as the other electrode :)

• 2 weeks later...

hmm...

after much thinking, i've come to the conclusion that i don't think the explosion would occur. if it did occur, very little product would be yielded. a simple principle of thermodynamics is that increased pressure will cause the reaction to favor the side with the least moles of gas, which would be the reactant.

• 10 months later...

This may sound a bit naive but i dont really do much explosives stuff and no way primaries. But is this reaction really reverseable? Under what circustances "4 C3H5N3O9 --> 10 H2O + 12 CO2 + 6 N2 + O2" does water CO2 nitrogen and oxygen combine to form nitroglycerine? To me this reaction dosen't seem reverseable and the increase of pressure and themperature would not shift the "equilibrium" to the left because there is no equilibrium (Le Chatelier is spinning in his grave right now). As to what will happen i say lots of different compounds made up of H C O N (and some of the container), as to what states they are in your guess is as good as mine :) Hope that helped

~Scott

someone try it!

Thats funny the original poster posted this because i thinl about this all the time. I say we get a huge metal cube with a small core, take it out into the dessert and try it. Im not saying "we, at science forum'' try it, but scientist, a team, to see what will happen. Maybe something amazing will happen. Maybe. Its just such a wierd thing to think about realy.