aliens

darkangel199

Why do you all think people want aliens to find us? i for one hope not considering how advanced they'd be just ot get here. Hell i bet they have passed our "backwater" planet full of "morons" as they might see it a million times, or worse, they are so advanced they see us as ants, and best case scenario they do what they do and ignore us. LOL when you look at an ant hill you usually probably keep walking by, i dont think you take the time to learn its language and offer it our advanced technology, if you're feeling honery you will "abduct" a few just for fun lol, or worst case scenario, you wil lfeel angry and decide to step on them or destroy the ant hill. Why wouldn't highly advanced aliens view us in the same view? maybe its a blessing they have not bothered with us yet and just decided to ignore our little type 0 civilization, especially conisdering they'd be at least type 2 civilization. So my feeling is, E.T. never phone here lol.

I actually doubt the idea of aliens being even remotely similar to our own existance; in fact, I find it more plausible that life in the universe - at least the ones close enough for us to find - have quite different existance, and might not emmediately fall under our current definition for life (but this is for another debate) -- I am bringing this up because my point is that people who want to meet aliens - in my opinion - have the need to feel they are not alone in the universe.

We keep hearing science declare that the universe is not hospitable to life, and is vast and infinite -- those thoughts are hard to grasp. Hoping aliens will come to our rescue from our many troubles is quite similar, in my opinion at least, to the belief in god: We are not alone, someone will save us, love us and help us out of the trouble we seem to be having great troubles facing by ourselves.

Anyways, those were my two and a half cents ;-)

~moo

Imagine you're an alien scientist: I for one find ants extraordinarily interesting and am humble enough to know there may be things to learn from them. So, i'd observe them from a respective distance, because some ant species have a painful bite or sting. They might even see me, but they will ignore me, because i'm such an abstract subject.

But i simply do not believe in alien life.

i for one hope not considering how advanced they'd be just ot get here.

This implies a form of science or it's equivelent. Any Aliens thought processes will most likely be very different from ours. But to discover enough about the way the universe works to build a ship to travel the distances from one star to another will requier some form of curiosity and logic process (ie: tool creation and use and invention).

i dont think you take the time to learn its language

The curiosity that is nessesary to discover technology will mean that they might be curious about us. This curiosity in Human scientists here on Earth lead them to study ants and learn their "Language" (pheromones), so it might be with a passing alien civilization.

if you're feeling honery you will "abduct" a few just for fun lol, or worst case scenario, you wil lfeel angry and decide to step on them or destroy the ant hill.

Well, Human scientitst do studdy ants in labs and curious Aliens might also do this (remember curiosity is most likely needed for technological developemnt). And yes, they might choose to "stomp on the ant nest", but again, I think that curiosity would stay their hand (or foot :P:D ). If they had the power to wipe us out so easily, they might just keep looking to see if we might be a threat, or wait until we are capable of peacful contact (I do not think humans are capable of this at the moment).

Why wouldn't highly advanced aliens view us in the same view?

As I said above. If they have developed technology capable of space travel, then they must have something akin to science. This requiers logical thought and a curiosity. These two traits will mean that we have some common ground and thought processes (while still being very different in other ways).

I agree with mooeypoo completely that any life we find is likely to be so different from us that their motivations would be nothing like ours and communication likely impossible.

However, I also agree that if other life finds us, that does imply all sorts of things about them that make them very similar to us, indeed. They would have to be very advanced problem solvers with some kind of scientific worldview, and they would have to find us interesting and worth investigating in order to bother coming here at all. It would even be reasonably likely (though not at all necessary) that they would be social organisms with advanced "language" of some sort, so real communication would be an eventual possibility. Of course, it could also just be a hive mind that never had any need for external communication, and so never developed it. Or the reason they came might not be mere curiosity, but also to exterminate a potential rival before we become dangerous. Or they might even be Saberhagen berserkers, intelligent, self-replicating weapons gone haywire and determined to destroy all life they encounter.... but hey, whatever.