Vista or XP Pro

herme3

The company that I'm working for is still thinking about upgrading to Windows XP Pro. My recommendation for them is to wait for Windows Vista because the main reason they are upgrading is to improve their security. They want to prevent employees from playing games on the computers when they should be working. The company is under the impression that installing Windows XP Pro and then using Active Directory on their server will make it impossible for employees to install games. Is this true?

I'm testing Windows Vista BETA, and it seems to have a lot of security features. Don't you all agree that it will be best to wait until Windows Vista before upgrading their computers? I can't imagine spending money on an operating system that will soon be obsolete.

I've heard some bad things about Vista lately, though I haven't checked them... its basic requirements seem a bit... outrageous though. Any operating system that requires a minimum of 1G RAM should supply a HECK of a lot more than winXP..

No?

~moo

Good to see someone with a good taste in books.

I sincerely hope that Microsoft plans to give good answers as to why its operating system demands such high memory.. this is one of the highest reasons why i just don't manage to trust that program yet..

One of Microsoft's biggest problem, in all its operating systems was the memory-residues.. and the fact they caused the computer to slow-down/crash every some time.. now it seems to me that instead of getting the mem-usage correctly, they got a bigger mess.. :\

Is tere anyone here who's tried it? I know there are trial and beta versions online.. anyone can tell a bit of his own experience about Vista?

~moo

I heard 1024 MB RAM for the entire operating system... I'm quite afraid of the "basics only" thing.. as far as microsoft's concerned, I might aswell have only the ability to have 1 window of internet explorer and the calculator running in the bg when having "only the basics"... :\

~moo

If you want to make lots of money off support calls and fixing machines, go with the largely untested (in production environment) vista.

If you want something that is tried, tested and picked apart for security exploits go with XP or wait for vista SP2 :D*

*assuming unix/linux is not an option

I've been testing Vista for a while now with my clients and students in mind, and I'm leaning towards recommending that everyone wait a few months after release before upgrading to Vista.

None of my clients will get an "upgrade" endorsement from me until I've had a chance to test all of their applications under the final release of Vista.

This is in stark contrast, by the way, with where I stood with my recommendations for Windows XP. I was very optimistic about XP. I am not optimistic at all about Vista for casual users. (Or Office 2007, for that matter.)

Specifically, the new interface is going to require some employee training (not a huge deal, but necessary), and I see major issues regarding the new 3d environment and hardware requirements for businesses (especially smaller firms that rely on cheap hardware).

If I was giving advice to this company and it had to be windows, in the current climate I would not recommend installing XP, but I also would not recomment vista soon after release.... really depends how desperate they are... And cost...

The company that I'm working ..... ........ can't imagine spending money on an operating system that will soon be obsolete.

XP S.P. 2 is a well matured OS. Vista may turn out to be great, but I'd wait for it to be tested for a year or so. You won't be missing out that much, I suspect, at least initially.

Upgrading to XP servers and computers will allow you to block games, among other things. It can also give you more security.

This is all assuming you are upgrading from another version of a microsoft OS. If you're thinking of migrating from linux ... that's a different matter.

This is coming from a former (I quit a week ago, and moved to Berkeley) computer technician at Univ. California Riverside, for what it's worth.

pardon me for asking but why do these companies approach you when you always have to ask our advice?

It would seem no one minds helping out don't get me wrong, im just wondering if maybe you're over doing the self advertising?

I don't think that's an appropriate question or response to this thread, and I don't see anything wrong with Herme3's question. That smells like the advent of another computer flame war, and I think his question has been answered, so I'm closing this thread. If any further questions need to be asked on this subject, pop me a note in PM and I'll reopen it. Thanks. :)