Which one....

Bettina

well, seeing as the new parachutes usually have a manual backup release on the underside of the pack and are generally quite reliablly packed i wouldn't have a problem taking it. the older parachute would still be in good condition and unless donalds law of entanglement has interfered with the cords the parachute should open fine. i wouldn't have a problem taking that one either.

so, the problem is reduced to a matter of time. Since both will have a similar arrangement of straps that require contortions of a ridiculous and superfluous nature that will take roughly equal time to put on.

in the end they are both equal. personally i would go for the older type as i have more experience with that type.

My dad and I sometimes chat about the wierdest things and he began to talk about things that are mechanical and electronic and when I told him that I like every single thing to be electronic' date=' he gave me the following question and I am interested in your input. This is not a puzzle or game....

You are the only person in a plane along with a pilot. You are flying at 7000 feet when the plane loses both engines. With mountains all around and no place to land, the pilot orders you to go in back, take one of the two parachutes and bail out. He will hold the plane steady until you go then he will take the other and follow. You crawl to the rear and as you look at the parachutes you see that one is very old and the other is new.

The old one is the standard version with a manual ripcord and a guage to show you when to pull it. It has some slight marks on it and is quite dusty. It has a tag that says "packed 1986 by No.17".

The new one has no ripcord or user controls. It is a fully automatic electronic version and says "tested 2006 by No.27". There is a green indicator on it that says "good".

Which one would you take.... you can only take one, and you must bail out.

Bettina[/quote']

At first glance, I'd lean towards the chute that I understood. Slight marks and dust wouldn't worry me but the fact that it was packed twenty years ago would probably make me go for #27. The length of time would overcome my preference for taking the chute I understood.