What is metabolism?

gene

Metabolism is the term given to the balance between catabolism (the breaking down of substances for energy, waste, etc.) and anabolism (the creation of new substances, for repair, growth etc.). For example, catabolic processes are what happen when you break down animal protein into amino acids that you can rebuild into your own proteins. Anabolic processes are what happen when you create new actin and myacin from these amino acids to build muscle. Anabolism and catabolism are usually in balance. This balance is called metabolism. The rate at which anabolic and catabolic processes happen is called the matabolic rate.

So when people say that growing children have higher metabolic rate than older people. It actually means that these chemical reactions, catabolism and anabolism, take place faster right in growing children right?

Oh yes, and another point. When we get cold, there is a temperature regulation mechanism whereby out metabolism decreases/ increase (i not very sure). Why?

Thanks for the answer on the previous qn.

:)

So when people say that growing children have higher metabolic rate than older people. It actually means that these chemical reactions, catabolism and anabolism, take place faster right in growing children right?

Well, the reactions themselves do not happen at a faster rate. What we mean by a higher metabolism is that the number of these reactions that happen in a given time increases. This is akin to saying that all rocks fall at the same rate due to gravity, but in some places, with a "higher rate of falling rocks" more rocks are dropped in a given amount of time. This is mainly due to the fact that children are both growing and highly active durring the day. (at least usually)

Oh yes, and another point. When we get cold, there is a temperature regulation mechanism whereby out metabolism decreases/ increase (i not very sure). Why?

Basically the effects of temperature on metabolism is a result of the fact that your body needs to keep its temperature around 98.6 degrees farenhiet. It takes energy for your body to maintain its temperature (much like it takes energy to run a heater in your house). The colder it is around you, the harder your body has to work to maintain your body temperature, so you use more energy. The way in wich your body creates the energy for heat is part of the metabolic cycle. Thus, when it is cold your body must increase its rate of metabolism in order to maintain itself at the correct temperature.

Hope that helps. Great questions! :D

the temp increase is also the bodys way of killing the viral agent as they often can only exist within a certain temperature range. to hot (even by only a few degrees) will kill them. so we run a temperature of 102 for a while, we feel bad, but they feel worse! :)

Hmmm.. that would be very difficult to determine accurately without more info.

an "off the cuff" answer would be a combo of fast met rate and efficiency. fat layers also play a crucial role in what you`re describing, when you say compared to those around you,,, do you mean you don`t feel the cold YOURSELF personaly like others express, or do you mean that you actualy feel warm to THEM?

bearing in mind that all of your core temperatures will be almost exactly the same (except in extreme cases such as Hypothermia), it could mean your circulatory system and oxygen usage is little more efficient than your friends, activity also plays a major role in staying warm also as does surface area clothing/insulation etc...

On days I walk home from school, I notice that kids will all be wearing coats while there are just two or three who don't. Those who do comment on how cold I must be without one. I guess this means I don't feel cold in relation to them. I do get cold, but I seem to have a greater tolerance. As for fat, how much can this effect a 5'9'' 130-140 guy?

I seem to eat all I want and not gain weight

I don't smoke

As for excercise, I walk home from school (2-3) miles and try to always do so at a quick pace. This is to make up somewhat for the fact that I don't play any sports right now. Up to the begging of this shool year I was on a swim team and up to several years ago I had been playing soccer almost every day.

there`s your answer then :)

you`ll find it`s both fast and efficient then, good man!

a good many sit on asses and play `puter games and their parents will give them a lift to and from school that`s only a few 100 yards away (I`ve seen it). keep it up :)

YT2095 said in post #6 :

the temp increase is also the bodys way of killing the viral agent as they often can only exist within a certain temperature range. to hot (even by only a few degrees) will kill them. so we run a temperature of 102 for a while, we feel bad, but they feel worse! :)

...er...what?

sure, it`s a well know/document fact, that one of the systemic responses to "invaders" to raise the body temp a few degrees outside the survival temp window of these things. it`s bonus side effect of white cell activity.

YT2095 said in post #8 :

bearing in mind that all of your core temperatures will be almost exactly the same (except in extreme cases such as Hypothermia), it could mean your circulatory system and oxygen usage is little more efficient than your friends, activity also plays a major role in staying warm also as does surface area clothing/insulation etc...

What actually is Hypothermia?

anything hypO means low or under

anything hypER means above or over

thermia rellates to heat (thermal) it`s of Greek origin.

hypOthermia would therefore mean low temperature.

hyperthermia (otherwise known as Pyrexia) is High temperature like in a fever :)

The extreme lowering of the body's intenternal tempurature to the point where it begins to, in response to the cold, funtion differently than normal. This is just my general understand though and am also interested in learning more. Also, what about hyperthermia?

HypERthermia can be brought about in 2 main ways, externaly (sitting in an oven), not hot enough to burn you but hot enough that bodys normal response of perspiration is ineffective. OR internaly, when a part of the brain or tissues signal the need for Pyrogens in order to combat "invaders"

hence it`s always important to drink plenty of liquids as a doctor will tell you, it will replace that which is lost in perspiration and respiration when pyrexic. and the use of "Anti-Pyretics" (aspirin etc..) to lower the body temp :)

Pyrogens are what the body releases in response to foreign "invaders".

hypo and hyper thermia are not diseases at all, and so therefore could not be considered chronic.

there are however certian diseases that will exhibit Hypo/Hyperthermia as a SYMPTOM :)

some of these diseases are indeed chronic, Reinholds Syndrome at it`s worst will show properties of hypothermia in the extremities for instance, it`s down to poor circulation and common with smoking (or at least many cases of it are amongst the group of smokers).

I would hazzard to say that some time in your life you have had Pyrexia (HypERthermia) during a flu or bad cold, or even local pyrexia if you`ve had an infected cut (usualy seen as a red area surrounding the wound and notably warmer that other areas).

but no, both are Symptomatic and not actual causes :)