Balancing equations

ctg202

1)KMnO4+H2SO4+Na2SO3 -> Mn+2+SO4-2

2)KMnO4+NaOH+Na2SO3->Mn(OH)2+SO4-2

3)K2C2O4+H2SO4+Na2SO3->Cr+3 +SO4-2

4)K2C2O4+NaOH+ Na2SO3->CO4-2+SO4-2

5)K2CrO4+H2SO4+Na2SO3->Cr+3+SO4-2

6)K2CrO4+NaOH+Na2SO3->Cr2O7-2+SO4-2

Does anyone know how to balance these equations? I know you have to add some things from the left side to the right but i dont know what. Please help!

We did something like this in Gen. Chem.; balancing Redox RXs in basic or acidic sol'n. But your examples are kind of different. I don't see where the Na's come from...

Well, w/ the Redox RXs, you add H2O, H+, and OH- accordingly, but I'm not sure how to apply it for your examples...

Sorry.

Na2SO3? where`s that involved at all?

and why is in each one? sodium sulphate is practicaly inert in these equasions!?

do me a fave, present them one at a time (or show your source) and use normal chem equasions, as non of that seems to make any sense at all?

take for example number #1

potassium permanganate + sulphuric acid + sodium sulphate (for a start what on earth is the sodium sulphate in there for?)

I`de haxxard to say at 1`st glance it wouldn`1t react at all, but over time MAY liberate a few O2 bubbles (at 1`st glance).

it needs tidying up :)

ps: I like your choice of Oxidiser in #5 and 6 though :)

I dont know why the elements that are in there are in there. It was a chemistry lab in my class. We were to mix the first things in each of the equations, and then it would turn a certain color. In the second one for example, it turned into a dark brown solid and that supposedly meant it turned into what you see on the other side of the arrow in each equation. Im not sure if i am setting up the equations correctly however. It was an expirement on oxidation reduction. I hope that helps. Thanks again for looking.

they DO, in the sense that each chem is correctly identifiable. the problem comes from above stated reasons :) maybe? (just a guess) the other useless stuff in it is there deliberately to try and confuse you, if that`s the case, just factor them out and re-write them :)

as I said, they need to be more tidy :)

A better question than where the Na comes from is where does it go in all of them.. I'm guessing you'll form Na-A, where A is the anion in the products (negatively charged ion). To balance it, you just have to make equal numbers of atoms on both sides... if there's 2Cr's on one side, then there should be 2 on the other side. It's not hard, just takes practice. There's programs that will do it for you, but I'd strongly recommend against using them, as in more advanced chemistry courses you'll need to balance like its 2nd nature.