CEI ads in response to Gore's movie...

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/5/17/15336/5459

I'm not sure what I expected, but these things are genuinely funny. They look like nothing so much as a parody produced by Saturday Night Live. The tag line -- the last line of the ad, read dramatically as a little girl blows a dandelion -- is: "Carbon dioxide. They call it pollution. We call it life."

It's a pro-CO2 ad. Seriously. It turns out, we breathe CO2 out. And plants absorb it. It

WHAT. THE. ****.

Watch these ads. I dont even know how to respond to them. I cannot understand that 1) somebody actually wrote an ad like that and 2) people thought that producing and airing these ads would be a good idea. Please please tell me that the average person will realize how stupid these ads are? That commentary site is right, this looks exactly like satire.

Wow, just wow. I insist, WOW. Wow, wow, wow. I don't know how else to say it. WOW

I completely agree with you, [Tycho?].

P.S. Wow.

Edit: I'll actually reply to this later. I just need some time to take it all in. Wow.

wtf, omfg, and possibly even bbfq.

that's like saying that a rise in oxygen levels isn't dangerouse just because we breath it. yeah we breath it, but that doesn't stop, say, iron from exploding if O2 concentrations get high enough. Or that water couldn't drown us if there was enough of it 'cos we happen to drink it.

Oooh, we exhale CO2 and plants inhale it. therefore, CO2 couldn't possibly be dangerouse in any way, shape or form. Guess i wont bother get my boiler checked for leaks this year then. after all, who cares if it's leaking life?

the depressing thing being the number of people that will accept this. doesn't this fall under false advertising? can they not be sued untill they stop?

I don't like these ads either. I believe this debate should be based on science, not slogans.

However, to do a knee jerk reaction against the ad message without thought is equally culpable.

Increases in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere do actually increase plant growth. Not only is this significant, but there is also another factor.

With more carbon dioxide, plant stomata do not have to open as wide to obtain this raw material for photosynthesis. They lose less water that way. This makes crop plants more drought resistant.

I am not supporting the ads. Just telling you guys to use a little thought before attacking them.

Well then.

It's just the last part that made me go crazy. "Carbon dioxide. They call it pollution. We call it life." We ("they" in the slogan) don't call it pollution. We ("they" in the slogan) simply say that when humans unnaturally release CO2 by burning fossil fuels and such creates more insulation thus warming the atmosphere. We ("they" in the slogan) also know that CO2 is natural and essential to life on earth, but too much of it will cause problems.

I do like that it shows Al Gore as a hippocrate. Also some good airshow footage. I like my planes:-) But yeah, I don't know what they're trying to accomplish with these ads. I myself don't believe that global warming is as bad as everyone is making it sound, it is a natural cycle. But making carbon dioxide sound like a good thing, something that we need more and more of, I do not agree with.

Did this ad remind anyone else of the type of ads released by sinister corperations in many sci-fi movies? Personally I think whoever made this advert was either greenpeace, or clueless about marketing.

I don't like these ads either. I believe this debate should be based on science' date=' not slogans.

However, to do a knee jerk reaction against the ad message without thought is equally culpable.

Increases in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere do actually increase plant growth. Not only is this significant, but there is also another factor.

With more carbon dioxide, plant stomata do not have to open as wide to obtain this raw material for photosynthesis. They lose less water that way. This makes crop plants more drought resistant.

I am not supporting the ads. Just telling you guys to use a little thought before attacking them.[/quote']

Increases in carbon dioxide increase the growth of only certain plant types, most notably C3 plants. C4 plants and CAM plants will probably be outcompeted in a higher CO2 atmosphere. This means an increase in carbon dioxide has a fairly high chance of decreasing plant diversity.