Neurochemistry

You need an MD to be accepted as a reliable and genuine neurochemist.

Or if you want to get hired.:D

Um..no you DO NOT NEED a MD to be a neurochemist! what ever that is.

If neuroscience is your thing, then that's what you do!! pursue studies in the field of neuroscience. A BS or MS will get you in the door at many pharmaceutical companies, you just need to apply to their neurosciences division. In addition, you can get into an academic laboratory and conduct research as a technician.

If your interest go more deep and you wish to examine a more specific question in neuroscience you can pursue a Ph.D. degree. You can choose a mentor whose research interests agree with yours.

The Ph.D. will open more doors for you. Most basic neuroscientist in industry and academia are PhDs. The MD will allow you to pursue "neurochemistry" much later on in your career, as that is a clinically based degree. Usually strait MDs pursue research after their residency if they want since there are special NIH grants that support the development of physicians into scientist.

After talking to a psychology professor, I've learned a few things:

1. Many people going into neuroscience are getting their M.D. in neurosurgery first.

2. A person can go without the M.D., but he or she will be limited to sawing off the skull of an animal.

I believe people are doing surgeon first is because it's a more secure job market; however, malpractice is annoying a lot of people, and it also discourages people from becoming neurosurgeons.

Perhaps they like the idea of being able to do real-life research on people, in some foreign country, which may be illegal or legal.....

With research done in DNA, a person can manipulate a gene that effects an animal, say it enhances cognitive thinking, and he or she can implant that into a different animal.

I believe that is what was done with the doogie mice. It seemed to have turned out very well. However, I'm sure some scientists are skeptical as to the reliability to transfer such information to the human brain. This may be why some scientists want to play around with the human brain and actually take a physical look at it.

Ethical issues surround all things when it comes to neuroscience. Flowers for algernon personify that.

But, no, you don't need an M.D. to be a neurochemist.

It seems many top-notch people in brain research have an M.D., however.