Simple problem

Hey, I've got a question I've been thinking about. I'm going on a rafting trip next month. There's a rope swing next to the river. If I want to swing on it, let go and get the most distance at what point in the arc of the swing do I let go? I realize that my speed is greatest at the bottom...and to release when traveling at 45 degrees with reference to the water (normally the best trajectory) I will almost be stopping at that point in the arc. Please help so I can impress people with my distance, hehe :D

As a wild guess, I was thinking 22.5 degrees as it's a comprimise between the trajectory angle and speed. But I really don't know, hehe. It's fun to think about though. And it will be difficult to know the exact angle without said protractor and I'll be drinking too. :)

• 5 weeks later...

ok, this doesnt account for height above the water on release, but it works none the less.

i went from the trajectory being

s = sin(theta)*cos(theta)*v^2 *2*(1/g)

where theta is the angle of release measured from vertical

and

v =( (sin(phi)-sin(theta)) * r * 2g)^.5

where phi is the starting angle from vertical and r is the rope length.

i simplified it down to,

s = sin(theta)*cos(theta)*(sin(phi)-sin(theta))*r*4*(1/a)

(bit of a mess i know)

when you start with a horisontal rope, 25.2 degrees is your best bet

when you start at 45 degrees, 19 degrees is best