ppt

akcapr

I expect it to be NaNO3. NaNO3 is almost insoluble in concentrated HNO3. With addition of excess HNO3 you get a LOT of NO3(-) ions and then the common ion effect makes the solubility of NaNo3 lower.

On the other hand, if you add conc. HCl to a solution of a sodium salt, then you get a precipitate of NaCl. NaCl is almost insoluble in conc. HCl.

I'm, however, not 100% sure with the NaNO3. This is what I expect, but if you really want to be sure, I would say, collect the precipitate, let it dry and mix it with some S + C and see whether it makes kind of BP. If this is the case, then it certainly is (mostly) NaNO3.

I think its Sodium Nitrate and its not "NaCL" its NaCl

Cry.

Also i would assume when you add HNO3 to NaCl, it will give HCl gas and NaNO3 that is of course if you use correct moles/amount of each...

but then i could be all wrong.

']Cry.

Also i would assume when you add HNO3 to NaCl' date=' it will give HCl gas and NaNO3 that is of course if you use correct moles/amount of each...

but then i could be all wrong.[/quote']

Semantically, yes, you are wrong. ;) HCl is so completely water soluble that you cannot generate HCl by adding nitric acid to a solution of sodium chloride. Perhaps an anhydrous NaCl might produce HCl vapor, but even then the oxidizing power of HNO3 may oxidize the Cl- ions to Cl2 gas.

What really happens is that some aqua regia like liquid is formed. HNO3 oxidizes HCl to Cl2 and ONCl. When the liquid is allowed to stand for some time, then it turns yellow, due to the mixed color of light green Cl2 and orange/brown ONCl.

Semantically, yes, you are wrong. ;) HCl is so completely water soluble that you cannot generate HCl by adding nitric acid to a solution of sodium chloride. Perhaps an anhydrous NaCl might produce HCl vapor, but even then the oxidizing power of HNO3 may oxidize the Cl- ions to Cl2 gas.

Err, i think i read the topic wrong, i though he ment solid NaCl and HNO3