Is Hypnosis Real?

I saw somebody, under hyposis, give there credit card number to the hypnotist and a very large crowd. Ruling out the possiblility of an audience plant, yeah... I've seen it done.

Not that I'm suggesting a supernatural occurance. I'm sure there is a reasonable explaination in the realm of psychology.

Yes, it's quite possible. Just not to the extent that some people think it is.

While under hypnosis, you can't get someone to do something they really don't want to do. You don't say "grab a knife and stab yourself" and they do it. Rather, you use suggestions to make them believe they are in a certain place or situation, so they will do certain things with less restraint.

Hypnosis: Very much real

However, much of what is demonstrated in group hypnosis is a stage show put on by the hypnotist. People aren't so really confused as to believe the complete fabrications which the hypnotist seemingly imparts to them. If the hypnotist tells them their shoe is the cutest dog they've ever seen and they have an uncontrollable urge to pet it, it's not as if they actually see their shoe as being a dog, but the associations the hypnotist has made in their heads will exist, and they'll probably feel their shoe is cute and have a desire to pet it in the way the hypnotist described.

There is a wealth of circumstantial evidence, but as it cannot be formalised and quantised and be measured by the scientific method, it will remain a mystery.

A real problem for "The Singularity" to crack? Can't wait!

My sister used to suffer from social anxiety to an extent where she couldn't walk out of the house with out having a panic attack. After seeing a hypnotherapist who worked with her for about a month, she completely regained her conidence and is now fairly out going.

So yes I would say hypnotherapy definately does work.

Also you might want to listen to this...

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/Shows/Archive.htm

It's a good episode on hypnotherapy by the naked scientist. (scroll down and click on 6th March 2005 episode)

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody seen proof that these guys have been able to hypnotize people. By that I mean, the eyes closing and the sleepy response to questions.

As a student of psychology I hypnotised people and did various tests to check that it was actually working (like sticking them with pins). It definitely works. I read that actually people with a higher intelligence were easier to hypnotise and I found this the case. People that have poor attention spans or lack concentration make poor subjects. There are people who go into trances watching a toilet flush. The use of ritual in services has been designed over the centuries to create a semi-hypnotic state. Cults where the dancers repeat regular rhythms puts them into trances, eg hypnotic state. Stage hypnosis is just entertainement with many subjects going along with the suggestions so as not to embarrass or let down the hypnotist.