Nocturnals and Time Devices

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid

IF (big IF) I understand you correctly, you want some sort of time peice that works at night?

the only one that I`m aware of (other than the blatantly obvious clocks) Is a callibrated pendulum system, the ideal pendum, will swing in a straight line constantly, as the earth rotates the marking on the floor that the pendulum swing over will move with the earth, making 1 rotation every 24 hours. that would be another simple way that anyone could build to give a reasonable idea of the time at night :)

YT2095 said in post #3 :

the only one that I`m aware of (other than the blatantly obvious clocks) Is a callibrated pendulum system, the ideal pendum, will swing in a straight line constantly, as the earth rotates the marking on the floor that the pendulum swing over will move with the earth, making 1 rotation every 24 hours. that would be another simple way that anyone could build to give a reasonable idea of the time at night :)

It's only 24 hours at the poles (actually 23 hours 56 min). You have to multiply 24 by sin(latitude) to the the period for a Foucalt pendulum.

Yup, perfectly true, I just kept it simple for the ideas sake, but it seems he may have something better or given up on the idea? I hope it`s the 1`st one and he shares, coz I`m at a loss here for other ideas to tell time at night, other than callibrated candles.

I`m sure he`ll figure something though :)