Egg Launcher

EvoN1020v

Hi.

Am back.

Your launcher has to be obviously a plain swing. The egg will sit on a craddle which allows only exiting forward and keeps it from falling backwards or move sideways.

A swing will allow precise repeatability by inscribing markings on a attached scale from which point should be released.

The suspension strings should be not strings, but any solid wire, like galvanized, smoothly pivoting on steady eyelets... just for precision and repeatability.

The swinging "sitting" launching surface carrying the egg will hit a stop at about 45 degrees so the egg launches at a 45 degree angle (UPWARDS and forward) not horizontally forward nor downwards.

WHY? Because you want the egg to have the minimum AT LEAST vertical speed at the moment of entering the cup opening.

Launching it upwards (I mean 45 degrees) by stopping the swing, the egg has no impacts at launch, just momentum and slides out of its craddle.

Now the nice part... the egg will have a vertical speed component decreasing by gravity pull until it is zero (the apex ot the trajectory)

THAT is the point where the cup opening has to be.

The cup can still be two feet away, but higher than the launching point. Like tossing a basketball so enters the ring barely above it and barely in motion.

At steeper launching angles, like 80 degrees (almost vertical) the cup entrance will be nearly 2 feet higher than the launching point, its vertical speed component will also reach zero, and the horizontal speed component will be much less than if launching at 45 degrees, giving even better chance of easy success.:D

Make one, have your partner make another, compare and combine the best of both. Remember trying different lenghts of "strings"

Miguel

• 2 months later...

Though I have done this launcher project a month ago, I want to give you guys an update.

My partner and I made a hortionzal launcher on top of a table. Who said that we had to make an angled launcher? Most of our classmates made that way, and their eggs broke. Our launcher was successful since the egg arrived in a cup that is 3 cm in diameter! We didn't have to pass in our lab reports and recieved 100% on it automactially. :P