Chiropractic treatment fails to produce results

Cap'n Refsmmat

In a review of 26 independent studies from 2000 to 2005, researchers have found that chiropractic treatments for colic, asthma, allergies, dizziness, and period, back and neck pain have little to no benefit over conventional treatments.

The researchers say that in all categories except for back pain, the studies found that chiropractic treatment was not effective at all, while with back pain, it is no better than a conventional treatment. Chiropractors, however, have dismissed the review as focusing on the negative studies, which the researchers deny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4824594.stm

i have a number of friends who will be interested in this.

i wonder if the report actually showed any negative effects of chiropractice, especially for back problems. many of the manipulations chiropracters perform can be quite aggressive.

many of the manipulations chiropracters perform can be quite aggressive.
Indeed. However, I can think of one major study that was posted in JAMA (I believe) that showed manipulation of the lumbar spine for lower back pain was as effective as the conventional treatment plan. I also recall reading a few studies that indicate manipulation of the cervical spine in tension and nontension headaches was effective in reducing frequency and duration (but not magnitude) of headaches. If I recall the details (its been awhile), non-tension headaches were more effectively treated with manipulation than with pain meds. If anyone is interested I can check on those details.

I do, however, have a couple of beefs with chiropractors. First, they have a disproportionate number of nut-jobs who claim they can cure everything. Chiropractic oversight committees really need to crack down on these claims. Second, many are pushing for prescription rights. I have to ask why they didn't just go to medical school if they wanted prescription rights. Third, from what I understand they aren't as well regulated as conventional medicine. You wouldn't believe how many hoops I have to jump through to graduate, get my license to practice medicine, get my board certification, get hospital practice rights, keep my license, keep board certs, keep practice rights, etc. Granted, on this point I am less knowledgable. This is simply the impression I got from a former chiropractor in my school. Fourth, they act more like salesmen then health-care workers. The goal seems to be to get you to come back. I've even seen annual plans.

• 6 years later...

Indeed. However, I can think of one major study that was posted in JAMA (I believe) that showed manipulation of the lumbar spine for lower back pain was as effective as the conventional treatment plan. I also recall reading a few studies that indicate manipulation of the cervical spine in tension and nontension headaches was effective in reducing frequency and duration (but not magnitude) of headaches. If I recall the details (its been awhile), non-tension headaches were more effectively treated with manipulation than with pain meds. If anyone is interested I can check on those details.

I think part of the difficulty in assessing is to separate placebo effects from true treatment. How do you give someone a placebo chiropractic treatment?